Faverolles Thread

Then if you get hatches like mine 8 out of 10 are cockerels.
gig.gif
I'm sorry Cindy! However, it was funny, LOL.....

Has anyone ever tried doing a study with their roosters - like ranchers do with cattle and other livestock? They keep track of the offspring, percentages of males / females. Just like humans, the male determines the sex of the offspring.

If I were a betting girl, I'd wager it's true for roos too
wink.png

:gig I'm sorry Cindy! However, it was funny, LOL.....

Has anyone ever tried doing a study with their roosters - like ranchers do with cattle and other livestock? They keep track of the offspring, percentages of males / females. Just like humans, the male determines the sex of the offspring.

If I were a betting girl, I'd wager it's true for roos too ;)

I've asked that various places too. Never got an answer though. Would be very curious to find if it does.

.... Just like humans, the male determines the sex of the offspring....
Not a genetic expert, but I believe it's actually the hen that is the heterogametic sex in chickens, the opposite of humans. So I think its actually the female (or the egg) that determines the sex, not the male (sperm). Here's an easy-to-read link about the ZW chromosome...
Best,
Brice @ SF

Not a genetic expert, but I believe it's actually the hen that is the heterogametic sex in chickens, the opposite of humans.  So I think its actually the female (or the egg) that determines the sex, not the male (sperm).  Here's an easy-to-read link about the ZW chromosome...  
Best,
Brice @ SF

I believe you are right. I have read that the temperature at time of conception has a big effect on the sex determination. I would like to see some more studies on this.

Good read. I also have been told temps play a role in developement. I doubt it. What is ,is, thats all there is to it! It is the female in chickens that decide the sex.
If you are having to many roos, screen the hens and keep the eggs seperate for hatching to find your male producers and female producers.
barnie.gif
Hump! on second thought I doubt that would work either.
idunno.gif

I've heard that incubator temps can be kept a little off (can't remember if it was low or high) for a few hours to kill off the developing male chicks because they die faster than the female chicks at that temp, but I'd be afraid of accidentally killing off the females.

IN CHICKENS SEX DETERMINATION COMES FROM THE FEMALES, NOT THE ROOS

(NOT SHOUTING, COULD NOT SEPARATE ON MY PHONE)

If I were a betting girl, I'd wager it's true for roos too ;)
[/quote]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom