Faverolles Thread

My six faverolles boys are now 18 weeks old and I need to decide which one to keep. I have narrowed it down to two and I would love the help of this group to point out the good/bad so I can choose! I'd love your input. I do have others with blacker beards, but they have less fluffy beards and larger wattles. These two are both very human friendly and get along well with my other older roosters, which are both important points for me. I'll try to use pics that show their combs, toes, and overall appearance - sorry the shots aren't great, but hoping they show enough. They look similar except Bruno has much more of the dark salmon coloring so far.
These first pics are all Pierre:

All the next pics are of Bruno:

Thanks for looking!

edit to add a better side view of Bruno's comb:

Last edited:
My six faverolles boys are now 18 weeks old and I need to decide which one to keep. I have narrowed it down to two and I would love the help of this group to point out the good/bad so I can choose! I'd love your input. I do have others with blacker beards, but they have less fluffy beards and larger wattles. These two are both very human friendly and get along well with my other older roosters, which are both important points for me.

Are your other roosters also Faverolles? You should keep a backup male just in case.

I have roosters of all different breeds. I have one other sf/ee roo that I keep for sentimental reasons - last egg from a favorite hen I lost- he looks like a fav roo with a pea comb (not for breeding) just a sweet pet. The rest of my roos are pure but are not faverolles - RIR, marans, silkie, ee. I only have room for one roo of each though.

I edited my above post to include a better view of Bruno's comb. Counting points to compare, I think Pierre has an extra, but I'm unsure whether to count the one on front of the blade. ?

Thank you - yes, I do love Bruno's coloring - the deep salmon/mahogany is so rich. I wasn't sure if that was preferred but it suits my own. I dont know much about combs (except what I read), but Pierre has an extra point but neater blade. Somehow Pierre's toes pic didn't post so here that is
I do see that Bruno's toes have better separation as well. I'm learning so much from this thread but I still don't trust my instincts as a beginner. Although I have many breeds, favs are the only one I've even looked into SOP as I find them to be my absolute favorite beyond compare. I would have many more but my fav hatches have been bad. A single hatch which was the hen I lost (she's the one that hooked me on favs!) Then I got wonderful eggs from FancyFavie and got 6/7 boys. I will keep trying!

Last edited:
gig.gif
I'm sorry Cindy! However, it was funny, LOL.....

Has anyone ever tried doing a study with their roosters - like ranchers do with cattle and other livestock? They keep track of the offspring, percentages of males / females. Just like humans, the male determines the sex of the offspring.

If I were a betting girl, I'd wager it's true for roos too
wink.png
I think it is a question in most livestock breeding.....Remembered trying both breeding by the moon phase as well as ph factor, acid/alkaline balance....Read somewhere that men who are outdoorsman have a greater chance of having girls and non-outdoorsy men boys......

Back
Top Bottom