Faverolles Thread

Yeah thanks for the help! I will keep his spur as a souvenir, it looks cool and its pretty big.
wink.png

I purchased blue Faverolles hatching eggs from a breeder. Actually, from 2 different breeders. Some aren't ready to hatch yet (some are bantams). I know you are supposed to get 25% blacks from the crossing of blues. Two of my chicks are nice blues...a pair. Should the black from crossing blues look like this?

That chick looks blue barred to me. But hard to tell from the picture. Very odd because there aren't any barred faverolles. Maybe it coloring will even out over time.

I purchased blue Faverolles hatching eggs from a breeder. Actually, from 2 different breeders. Some aren't ready to hatch yet (some are bantams). I know you are supposed to get 25% blacks from the crossing of blues. Two of my chicks are nice blues...a pair. Should the black from crossing blues look like this?
It's hard to tell by the pictures if they are dark blue or black. Blues can vary widely. That being said, blacks produced from a blue x blue breeding tend to be of less intense coloring than those from a pure black breeding. There are several melanisers that intensify black that may not be present in a blue bird.

HI, am excited to hear that there are other breeders bringing out the Blue coloration :) Are these project ?…. Are these bantam or large fowl? The barring is kinda pretty…( UK has Cuckoo ?) I was surprised last year when Black to Black from Boulanger breeding gave me white, black and 2 shades of blue. I hope to grow some LF Blue later in the year now that i have a beautiful Blue Cockerel from Little Creek Farm,Thanks to Jeanine / Cloverleaf Farm.

HI, am excited to hear that there are other breeders bringing out the Blue coloration :) Are these project ?…. Are these bantam or large fowl? The barring is kinda pretty…( UK has Cuckoo ?) I was surprised last year when Black to Black from Boulanger breeding gave me white, black and 2 shades of blue. I hope to grow some LF Blue later in the year now that i have a beautiful Blue Cockerel from Little Creek Farm,Thanks to Jeanine / Cloverleaf Farm.
One of those must be dark blue then. I assume one of the hens? Not surprised about the whites! Did you get any eggs from Pam to widen the blue pool?

It's hard to tell by the pictures if they are dark blue or black. Blues can vary widely. That being said, blacks produced from a blue x blue breeding tend to be of less intense coloring than those from a pure black breeding. There are several melanisers that intensify black that may not be present in a blue bird.

Yes, you would get barred cockerels and black pullets.
I am constantly amazed at how colors are transmitted in birds. Black to Black in theory should produce Black but i think we thought that at least one of my Black hens must have been a very dark Blue to produce the variety colors. Thanks Keesmom

One of those must be dark blue then. I assume one of the hens? Not surprised about the whites! Did you get any eggs from Pam to widen the blue pool?
Yes, that is what You had thought since it was soooooo confusing to me at the time.. I hatched an almost white hen out of Mahoganies from *Chicken on the Hill too. She said it often happened with her Boulanger lines. Pam has been really helpful to me….My Blue Cockerel from Jeanine is from eggs from Pam @ Little Creek Farms.

What two breeders, if you don't mind my asking? I've bred blues and blacks since 2008 and have never seen barring on them. I'll agree that a barred something was used somewhere if you are getting barred chicks. Kind of pretty though.

Back
Top Bottom