Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I can't do the fan or ice thing either. I did give them watermelon but that's not unusual. They always get the fruit rinds to peck at. I am about to lose one hen, one of my old layers. She hasn't seemed quite right lately anyway, and I think this heat is the last straw for her.

You all make me feel like I have nothing to complain about as its "only" 93 here! I had a broody sitting (setting?) who, fortunately, hatched her chicks this past Monday so she doesn't have to sit in a hot nest box anymore. She had been in the brooder in a cardboard box but after the chicks hatched I just pulled it out so everyone could have plenty of air. A few days this week it has been hot enough in the coop to hatch eggs without a hen! I put a fan blowing on the brooder, which is hardware cloth on three sides, and mama and babies quickly learned to sit in the air flow. The hen is panting a little but the babies all seem quite happy and are busy eating, drinking and snoozing (and pooping of course). We are supposed to get rain tonight and cooler weather (78 is the high tomorrow!) - it can't get here fast enough for me!

Rock N' Faverolles :

I would have chicks or eggs for sale in the spring of both Large Salmon and White Faverolles. I live in Iowa so it may be close enough for you to pick them up, or I would ship them to you.

David

Cool! Picking them up would be nice. Do you have any pictures?​

Quote:
Cool! Picking them up would be nice. Do you have any pictures?

There are some pictures on page 334 and 315 of this thread, of my birds.

Cool! And he's a beautiful rooster!
smile.png

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Dick's eggs are hatching!
D.gif
day 22 here

5 of the 7 that made it to lockdown have hatched! Huge chicks with big cheek fluff! Sorry no pics yet. Two have a black dot on the back of the head, and very slight 'dusting' of russet down the back. Boys showing this early?

Thanks,
Laurie

Quote:
I wish it would have been a better hatch. With the ones that hatched and the birds you have now should give you a good breeding season for next year.
Dick

Quote:
I wish it would have been a better hatch. With the ones that hatched and the birds you have now should give you a good breeding season for next year.
Dick

Dick,
I am going to try and get pics of those white chicks I was telling you about today. The 3 silvers were all pullets but got 2 really nice cockerels too. Also going to take a couple pics of the buff chicks

Back
Top Bottom