Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Yes. Bantams should be in the 30 ounce range. (I am at work and don't have my standard in front of me). If Leisha or somebody comes on, they will be able to tell you, or I will post the sizes tomorrow.
wink.png

From the American Standard of Perfection:

LF

Cocks - 8lbs
Cockerels - 7lbs

Hens - 6 1/2 lbs
Pullets - 5 1/2 lbs

Bantams

Cocks - 30 oz.
Cockerels - 26 oz.

Hens - 26 oz.
Pullets - 24 oz.

I agree with Jeanine - there are two sizes for a reason, and there's too many birds that already are too small or too large for their category, in addition to all of the other considerations involved with breeding faverolles. You never know, if you breed the two sizes, where the great-great-great-grandchildren of your birds - holding those mixed sizes in their genes - will end up. It's just not responsible. There are birds out there. You may have to wait for the good ones, but as someone who has done just that, I can tell you that the wait is worth it. (I didn't say I enjoyed the wait - only that it was worth it!)
wink.png

Guys, in the interest of my birds, this is a repeat of the post I made over on the Predators and Pests forum. This one is a lot more active, and I need help!

I need some help. In my seven years with chickens, I have never had mites - lice, yes, but not mites, and even that was many years ago, before I started using DE everywhere. Now that I know what I have, I've dusted every bird, and added dust to their bathing holes. I discovered the mites when I brought my big cochin hen into the house on Friday because she was acting ill. I looked at her vent, but didn't see anything, but as she's a dark partridge, that may have hindered me. Yesterday I felt like my skin was crawling, and when I looked, there they were! I could barely see them, even under the brightest light! No wonder I couldn't see them on my bird. I ran out today and loaded up on Sevin Dust, and dusted all the birds. Took the bird in my room outside, dusted and changed her cage and her, left my clothes outside, and took a shower. Later, I was wiping up the table around her cage and a few minutes later the bugs are back on me again! Do I have to bomb my room now? I also noticed when I reached in the cage to check the one bird that she still has living mites on her, because they were on my hand and my shirt. How long does it take for this to work?

Will these things crawl all over my house? The bird is too ill to be outside in the cold - what do I do??

Quote:
Use Ivermectin or Eprinex on her, but give her a bath first. You'll get most of them off in the bath. You can use a dog / cat flea and tick shampoo on her in the bath as well. Yeah, mites are GROSS!!!
sickbyc.gif
The Silkies seem to be MAGNETS for them!!

Oh, and thanks for posting the standard weights!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, they were pretty big. I had a Jersey Giant breeder the other day look at my big boy and comment on how huge he is!
lol.png
I haven't weighed him since he was young, but I'd guess him in the 10 pound range...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Use Ivermectin or Eprinex on her, but give her a bath first. You'll get most of them off in the bath. You can use a dog / cat flea and tick shampoo on her in the bath as well. Yeah, mites are GROSS!!!
sickbyc.gif
The Silkies seem to be MAGNETS for them!!

Oh, and thanks for posting the standard weights!
wink.png

I agree the ivermectin pour on works wonders! They will be off of them by the next day. I got mine from valleyvetsupply.com. It is like $35 for their smallest bottle but well worth it. I use about 3 drops for bantams and 5-7 for larger birds depending on their size. It seems some birds attract them more than others. Yes, the first indication I had a problem is when I feel creepy crawlies on me! Put the drops on their skin behind their neck. The sevin dust didn't work for me but the ivermectin did the job almost immediately!

Many years ago, while green behind the ears with chickens, I had this problem. Panicky, I bought over-the-counter lice solution for my hair, used it several times. It's a wonder my hair didn't fall out. It has been my opinion that these mites are more host specific, and do not enjoy humans long term. Treat the chickens, shower, wash your hair, change clothes as often as it takes. You'll eventually get a grip on it. I don't remember what I used to treat the chickens, but it was most likely something simple like Sevin dust.

Thanks, guys! After a late night phone call to one of my chicken friends, I have now Frontlined everyone - the sick hen got it last night. There seems to be no activity on her this morning. My friend also told me that, although the mites may bite me, they are really only interested in chicken blood. I have the Ivermectin standing by because I just wormed them last week and was planning on following up with that in a few more days for the second worming treatment. The poor things - first their being sucked dry, now they are manhandled with dusting and Frontline. They aren't happy with me right now, and I don't blame them. If I had been paying better attention, this would not have gotten so bad.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom