Faverolles Thread

lol.png
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing...

I guess through years of domestication the males "realize" there's no need to "provide" for the girls? Very interesting. - When I bought chickens just over a year ago, I had no idea how much enjoyment I would get from them
smile.png
It's been really neat having them. I hope there will always be a little of the wild in domestic fowl.

Hi Bruce - Yes, you have to see it... The rooster will literally call the girls over and give them treats. The one I have will hardly eat anything for himself, he gives it all away! If it's a large piece of something, he tears it apart for them.....

When I put fresh water in the pen, he tries it first... interesting behaviors!
My boys do this too, hey ladies, lookie here.......this morning half of the group followed me towards the barn where i scattered some extra grain....My younger boy kept going back to attract the few stragglers. only when they made it over did he start to eat too....

Tidbitting... thank you for the term. I had a rooster do it and thought it was natural; he finds food, coos the girls over and then guards while they eat. I do have a young guy here who makes a real run for it when he finds something and another who grabs the food and struts around with it, sounding off, trying to gather followers in my belief. I like these boys. I know everyone seems to want a pet rooster now but the more the rooster acts like a defensive provider the more I like them. I don't like the shin beatings or the sneaky pecks, but I deal with that as best I can 'in their language' too. I peck them back and chase them a little. To keep this thought in vein of the heading, I must say that so far my Fav cockerel is showing signs of being a nice boy. He doesn't seem to hog the food and is in my face with his attitude when I do something he doesn't think is suitable: like take him out in the cold. Still waiting for his calico phase to pass. They are finally settling down to being handled with out screaming. I might even name them (gasp!)

Do faverolles roost?!

It seems like a funny question but my two new ones [~6 months old] sleep on the floor, or worse, in the nest box. They poop all over the nest box and then all the eggs the next day get filthy.

How can I get them out of there??

[There's plenty of roost space and they're not bottom of the flock.]

Last edited:
Mine do. It might sound funny, but you may have to teach them. I would try putting them on the roost at night. It may take a while, but they should learn. Mine roosted at night at least a couple of feet off the ground.

Do faverolles roost?!

It seems like a funny question but my two new ones [~6 months old] sleep on the floor, or worse, in the nest box. They poop all over the nest box and then all the eggs the next day get filthy.

How can I get them out of there??

All my girls do. The little Cubalayas get pushed around during the "Hey, I want to sleep there" antics but after others are settled they will try to get where they want to be, including shoving themselves under other birds to get by if they can. The bigger birds walk over the top.
idunno.gif
Seems a little harsh to me.

I would ask if the nest box is lower than the roost but if they also sleep on the floor, I would guess it doesn't matter. Maybe you need to close the nest boxes off for a few nights.

Bruce

Mine do. It might sound funny, but you may have to teach them. I would try putting them on the roost at night. It may take a while, but they should learn. Mine roosted at night at least a couple of feet off the ground.

Pretty Kiddos. My girls don't currently have a spot to roost. But when they go in the coop with the laying hens they will have a place to sleep up top. That will involve me processing a couple of laying hens to make room and I just haven't gotten around to doing it. My faverolles roosters used to give the girls things to eat. Hopefully the new boys will when they come up here to breed with the hens eventually. We will see I still need to go look at them. Hoping to do it sometime on Thursday or Friday or possibly next week when my exams are done with.

Pretty birds!!
Thank you for the advice. How many feet off the ground? I have a shelf that is 28" off the ground with a roost 12" over that. They can fly to the shelf and then hop up.

Should this be lower?

Thanks!

All my girls do. The little Cubalayas get pushed around during the "Hey, I want to sleep there" antics but after others are settled they will try to get where they want to be, including shoving themselves under other birds to get by if they can. The bigger birds walk over the top.
idunno.gif
Seems a little harsh to me.

I would ask if the nest box is lower than the roost but if they also sleep on the floor, I would guess it doesn't matter. Maybe you need to close the nest boxes off for a few nights.

Bruce

Your girls sound funny!

Yes, the nest box is on the ground and the shelf to the roost is about 28" high. I am hoping this isn't too high. I've seen them that high on the dog crate so I know they can do it.

I did close the nest box tonight! Hope that starts to help!!

Pretty Kiddos. My girls don't currently have a spot to roost. But when they go in the coop with the laying hens they will have a place to sleep up top. That will involve me processing a couple of laying hens to make room and I just haven't gotten around to doing it. My faverolles roosters used to give the girls things to eat. Hopefully the new boys will when they come up here to breed with the hens eventually. We will see I still need to go look at them. Hoping to do it sometime on Thursday or Friday or possibly next week when my exams are done with.

Thanks. I hope mine get the hang of it! I wonder if yours will. :)

Back
Top Bottom