Faverolles Thread

Really, I'll have to check this out. Do you know where I can see a picture of them. Is this a hatchery or private breeder?
I don't have any pictures. Here is their description:

Mahogany Faverolle (CB): A colorful Faverolle where the males are a partridge color and the hens are a rich mahogany brown color, pale brown eggs. They have a medium size single comb. These came to me as a selection from a hatchery which is now out of business. They are thrifty and productive, but do not have an ancient history. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard

And their website

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/index.html

They do not aim to produce SQ birds, nor do they claim to do so. Some of their breeds are closer to SOP than others. While I suppose you could include them in the hatchery list they aren't anything like Ideal, Meyer, etc. Their goal is to preserve a genetic base, not just of poultry but seeds, roots and sweet potatoes. My understanding is their mahoganies need a lot of work to get them to the SOP, however they are at least preserving the genetics. They tend to all their birds themselves, unlike many hatcheries that get their eggs offsite.

I have heard that Sandhill has Mahogany birds, but the color needs work...

I need help - I would like to learn a little about poultry genetics. Is there a book for beginners that anybody could recommend?

Bruce, I'll PM you about "The Andromeda Strain"
I have the Genetics of Chicken Colours, and I like it a lot. Lots of pictures to explain things. Not sure how available it is. Grant Brereton has another, 21st Century Poultry Breeding. I'm assuming you want to know about colors?

I have heard that Sandhill has Mahogany birds, but the color needs work...

I need help - I would like to learn a little about poultry genetics. Is there a book for beginners that anybody could recommend?

Bruce, I'll PM you about "The Andromeda Strain"

I bought "An Introduction to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl" by Brian Reeder first and struggled through it without understanding much. Then purchased "21st Century Poultry Breeding" by Grant Brereton. Really enjoyed reading it and found it very helpful. After reading it I understood a lot more of what I had read in Brian Reeder's book. As usual, I did things just backwards, lol!

Thanks girls, I'll check into those books!

Keesmom - yes, I'd like to learn about the colors, but also how to choose which birds to keep for improvement. Like, if I have 2 males available, but both have a (different) flaw, which flaw is the lesser - which bird is the better? - That type of stuff... Oh, by the way, I love that light colored pullet I got from you, she has grown in the short time I've had them. Looking at them on the roost tonight, she's the biggest girl up there at barely 6 months!
big_smile.png

I have the Genetics of Chicken Colours, and I like it a lot. Lots of pictures to explain things. Not sure how available it is. Grant Brereton has another, 21st Century Poultry Breeding. I'm assuming you want to know about colors?
I have both those books they are great investments for anyone interested in poultry genetics.

I don't have any pictures. Here is their description:

Mahogany Faverolle (CB): A colorful Faverolle where the males are a partridge color and the hens are a rich mahogany brown color, pale brown eggs. They have a medium size single comb. These came to me as a selection from a hatchery which is now out of business. They are thrifty and productive, but do not have an ancient history. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard

And their website

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/index.html

They do not aim to produce SQ birds, nor do they claim to do so. Some of their breeds are closer to SOP than others. While I suppose you could include them in the hatchery list they aren't anything like Ideal, Meyer, etc. Their goal is to preserve a genetic base, not just of poultry but seeds, roots and sweet potatoes. My understanding is their mahoganies need a lot of work to get them to the SOP, however they are at least preserving the genetics. They tend to all their birds themselves, unlike many hatcheries that get their eggs offsite.
Would like to see a picture of their mahogany. I put a pen of my mahogany bantams to see what I get. We will see.

Would like to see a picture of their mahogany. I put a pen of my mahogany bantams to see what I get. We will see.
Post some pictures of what you hatch. Did you end up with mahogany hens or are you using your male over dark salmons? I am excited to see the results either way.

Snapped a few photos of the girls on my phone this morning. Need new camera batteries I will get them before I go visit the cockerels on Thursday.
This dark pullet from Dick has turned out to be one of my favorites.

Light pullet from Cindy

Still growing girl from Dick

Same smaller pullet

Snapped a few photos of the girls on my phone this morning. Need new camera batteries I will get them before I go visit the cockerels on Thursday.
This dark pullet from Dick has turned out to be one of my favorites...

How did you get in contact with Dick? I'm looking for Salmon Faverolles and have heard his line is really good. I'm in Virginia and I feel like I can't find anyone local! I'm just getting started with chickens in general, but I would really like to start breeding Faverolles that come close to the standard and are hardy enough for the backyarders around here (rural Southwest Virginia). Thinking about ordering from Cackle!
hu.gif

How did you get in contact with Dick? I'm looking for Salmon Faverolles and have heard his line is really good. I'm in Virginia and I feel like I can't find anyone local! I'm just getting started with chickens in general, but I would really like to start breeding Faverolles that come close to the standard and are hardy enough for the backyarders around here (rural Southwest Virginia). Thinking about ordering from Cackle!
hu.gif
Hi I have known Dick for several years. Dick is located up in Massachusetts and Cindy is in MA as well I am up in VT. There aren't many people with faverolles down around your part of the country. We are all unfortunately pretty spread out. I am originally from MD. As for contacting Dick he is on this site that is probably the best way to contact him. His user name is Faverolles he posted a couple pages ago. The birds from Cackle won't be anywhere close to standard in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom