Faverolles Thread

getting my chicks in march 25 2013 we are getting...5 barred plymouth rocks,5 salmon faverolles and last but not least black stars
43152676faverolles_hen.JPEG

That Faverolles hen was mine taken at a New Hampshire show.
Dick

Dick
That Faverolles hen was mine taken at a New Hampshire show.
      Dick

Dick
She is beautiful. The blacks you sent out, were they just your line or were they from the cross with my line? Do you remember? I have a few blacks and blues of yours here in a separate pen and they are growing out nicely. You don't have anything but Salmon in bantam and large fowl right?

Yeah, that's the one - Fenbendazole. That's the one I rotate with. I like your plan Sandiklaws.... I agree about the holistic prevention vs. the medical cure...

I feel the holistic stuff weakens the parasites and strengthens the birds, and the "harsh stuff" rotated eliminates the parasite load periodically. If they touch the ground they will have bugs, that is just fact, but if too much poison to get rid of the parasites is used it will weaken the birds and make it hard to breed for natural resistance. I started all "natural", even feeding organic, when I first got back into birds/favs in 2008... but they did not do so well and I felt like I was loosing a bug battle. I gradually tweaked it til I got what I mentioned before, and while a compromise from my "ideal", it works very well for them so overall I am happy with it. For now type and structure comes first, if I ever get them to breed like a rubber stamp with a type I can see no fault with, then maybe I will phase out some of my regimen and give natural resistance and homeopathic a try again, and work again toward having a natural flock...

i am going to save your program- never thought of redoing the roosts yearly either- might eliminate some of the issues i've been battling

x2 I've thought about using branches but I also read that I could oil the roosts or seal them otherwise to prevent the infestation hiding in there. At first i thought I read that you were burning the coops every year. THAT would be expensive! lol

So.... here are a few pics of the Favulous Duo from UofA...

The remaining pullet

And since I love beards... (on birds)

And a shot just so you could see how he is finally getting out of that calico phase and into regular color blocking.

They are in the old dairy storage in the basement and were not inclined to model very well. I showed pics of their feet a long while ago and was told they were good so no pics of that. The pullet's cough or sneeze or whatever hasn't abated. I am feeding her garlic in her food, molasses in the water and hoping that the warmer space will be enough to help her recover. She is the only one doing this out of all my birds and the light pullet who died was not doing it.

I feel the holistic stuff weakens the parasites and strengthens the birds, and the "harsh stuff" rotated eliminates the parasite load periodically. If they touch the ground they will have bugs, that is just fact, but if too much poison to get rid of the parasites is used it will weaken the birds and make it hard to breed for natural resistance. I started all "natural", even feeding organic, when I first got back into birds/favs in 2008... but they did not do so well and I felt like I was loosing a bug battle. I gradually tweaked it til I got what I mentioned before, and while a compromise from my "ideal", it works very well for them so overall I am happy with it. For now type and structure comes first, if I ever get them to breed like a rubber stamp with a type I can see no fault with, then maybe I will phase out some of my regimen and give natural resistance and homeopathic a try again, and work again toward having a natural flock...
Well it sounds like you've done your due diligence and since I'm not one for re-inventing the wheel, I think I'll follow your lead!
smile.png
"Breed like a rubber stamp" - nice analogy!

Back
Top Bottom