Faverolles Thread

Well it sounds like you've done your due diligence and since I'm not one for re-inventing the wheel, I think I'll follow your lead!
smile.png
"Breed like a rubber stamp" - nice analogy!

...and like a rubber stamp I am sure they will sometimes be smudgy, too dark, too light or a bit blurry around the fine points
wink.png

LOL definitely just burning the roosts NOT the coops! I figure it beats messing with them in regards to cleaning and what not... burn and replace every burn season (right now actually) and their feet get to sit on something different for a change too which I know from having cage birds is beneficial
x2 I've thought about using branches but I also read that I could oil the roosts or seal them otherwise to prevent the infestation hiding in there. At first i thought I read that you were burning the coops every year. THAT would be expensive! lol

So.... here are a few pics of the Favulous Duo from UofA...

The remaining pullet

And since I love beards... (on birds)

And a shot just so you could see how he is finally getting out of that calico phase and into regular color blocking.

They are in the old dairy storage in the basement and were not inclined to model very well. I showed pics of their feet a long while ago and was told they were good so no pics of that. The pullet's cough or sneeze or whatever hasn't abated. I am feeding her garlic in her food, molasses in the water and hoping that the warmer space will be enough to help her recover. She is the only one doing this out of all my birds and the light pullet who died was not doing it.

I see some nice dark color on that roo, and he looks to be short stature which I personally prefer (how many comb points?). The pullet looks to be nice and even in color... don't see anything that sends up a major red flag, but they definitely need more time to really see where they are going.

Thanks. Kees told me privately they weren't standing well. IDK why but I got the most fidgety of Favs apparently. I counted points on his comb and there are five but all I can hope for is that they are SHORT combs. I will be known as the lady who hates single combs lol Keesmom also showed me some pictures of other varieties and the one who died was light, like a splash pullet but she did have the grey underfluff. The cough seems to be a little better today but things have also gradually warmed here. Maybe she has chicken asthma. Anyway, so long as she lives that is enough for me for now. It means I have to go back to trying to get a couple more from U of A.... Mr Jim... oh Mr Jim, where are you??

Thanks. Kees told me privately they weren't standing well. IDK why but I got the most fidgety of Favs apparently. I counted points on his comb and there are five but all I can hope for is that they are SHORT combs. I will be known as the lady who hates single combs lol Keesmom also showed me some pictures of other varieties and the one who died was light, like a splash pullet but she did have the grey underfluff. The cough seems to be a little better today but things have also gradually warmed here. Maybe she has chicken asthma. Anyway, so long as she lives that is enough for me for now. It means I have to go back to trying to get a couple more from U of A.... Mr Jim... oh Mr Jim, where are you??

I have found they often do not mellow out til they are full grown... I think they have to grow into their beards or something

I was just wondering what everyones experience on broodiness is with faverolles. So far I have heard different things from everyone. I tried to hatch out a few standard Cochins to use as broodies, but it looks like the postal service has done a number on those eggs and none seem to be developing. I've tried silkies, but they seem to not be fit for the environment here, they get lost too easy with all the shrubs and their fluff in their face. I am just so tired of worrying about incubator failure and cleaning brooders all the time and would much rather have one of the ladies hatch and raise babies for me naturally. I have a few Cornish girls I was hoping to use, but they have been trouble makers, roosting in trees at night and leading the flock into neighbors yards.

I have yet to have one even consider going broody... but I have seen posts occasionally about a hen pulling off a clutch here and there. I got my best broody off of craigslist- basically asked if anyone had a cranky beotch that was biting, not laying and hogging the nestbox, and I got a bunch to pick from. One chicken persons pain in the tush is another's treasure, and people were releaved to see their broody grumps go to where they could raise some babies.

I also found that grafting chicks onto a banty broody from the incubator worked well. I had a silkie hen that never left my incubator room. She would start them, and I would pull a switcheroo on her when the next batch hatched- just covered her rubberaid tote w/ cardboard after sticking babies under her. Worked great, she would keep them the first week or so, and then they would go into a simple setup with far fewer worries.
wink.png

... she did 17 clutches of less then 10 chicks for me this way, and the chicks never pasted up or had any of the usual new hatch issues... although I think she was wondering why she had to occasionally re-teach them stuff, and I had to keep the colors the same or she would get pecky w/ the odd one.

Last edited:

hide.gif
Have been a bit busy lately. We are about 6 hours from the UofA. Long drive for eggs. We have 4 Salmon Faverolles developed in the incubator. hoping they hatch and survive to adulthood. If so, we will offer our own eggs. If we can find a 3' or 4' soda pop box, we will build our own cabinet incubator. Already have the thermostat unit. Until then, we have to use the Genesis and have a limit on how many we can hatch. When we get the larger incubator, I plan on a trip to Fayettville to get eggs for us.

They do have a nice regional airport there. You could call Dr. Bramwell for some eggs. Then when he has some, fly in, pick the eggs up and fly home.

Anyone in Washington state looking for a Large Fowl cockerel? He just seems too nice to be supper. Must downsize immediately so please PM me. You blue boy is adorable.

Hey Mia, Is this the boy i asked about earlier on this thread???? The one You thought was by my biggest Cloverleaf Farm hen ( Kable Daughter) that i received from You??? Cannot remember who You thought the father was...eliz

I was just wondering what everyones experience on broodiness is with faverolles. So far I have heard different things from everyone. I tried to hatch out a few standard Cochins to use as broodies, but it looks like the postal service has done a number on those eggs and none seem to be developing. I've tried silkies, but they seem to not be fit for the environment here, they get lost too easy with all the shrubs and their fluff in their face. I am just so tired of worrying about incubator failure and cleaning brooders all the time and would much rather have one of the ladies hatch and raise babies for me naturally. I have a few Cornish girls I was hoping to use, but they have been trouble makers, roosting in trees at night and leading the flock into neighbors yards.
My French Marans are awesome, just a suggestion
smile.png

I would like to have a 'bator, but it does seem like a lot of work - and playing momma hen doesn't quite fit into my lifestyle
hmm.png

I have yet to have one even consider going broody... but I have seen posts occasionally about a hen pulling off a clutch here and there. I got my best broody off of craigslist- basically asked if anyone had a cranky beotch that was biting, not laying and hogging the nestbox, and I got a bunch to pick from. One chicken persons pain in the tush is another's treasure, and people were releaved to see their broody grumps go to where they could raise some babies.

I also found that grafting chicks onto a banty broody from the incubator worked well. I had a silkie hen that never left my incubator room. She would start them, and I would pull a switcheroo on her when the next batch hatched- just covered her rubberaid tote w/ cardboard after sticking babies under her. Worked great, she would keep them the first week or so, and then they would go into a simple setup with far fewer worries.
wink.png

... she did 17 clutches of less then 10 chicks for me this way, and the chicks never pasted up or had any of the usual new hatch issues... although I think she was wondering why she had to occasionally re-teach them stuff, and I had to keep the colors the same or she would get pecky w/ the odd one.
lau.gif
Sandi - You sheisty thing! That is funny...But hey - use what works
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom