Faverolles Thread

The Favorelle who was coughing last we knew and then got better appears to have congestion in one of her nostrils. I found it this morning after I heard her start coughing again in the night. (she is in a room under my bedroom) I don't know what to do. Does anyone have ideas? Tylan up the nostril? What?

I would definitely keep her separated from the others.....

I can't remember, does anybody know if CRD remains dormant in birds, or is it actually curable? I thought one of my Marans broodies had it when I first bought them - turns out she was just nervous and breathing heavy.....

She's been struggling with this for quite a while though......interesting (but fortunate) that none of your others have any symptoms.

I really don't know what to say for myself. Little things are cropping up a lot here as of late. A weird toe, nostril issues, MITES. Gosh I hate those. Its not been fun to deal with chickens at the point. This fav pullet seems fine otherwise and her breathing isn't noisy. I have Tylan injectible here. I think most respiratory issues are dormant and here forever when had so maybe it was with another chicken or it was in the old barn from the last chickens kept here. ?? Either way I feel a bit daunted by all these little failings in my chicken keeping.

Do not get to frustrated. For some reason all the bad stuff seems to come at once. I have had more problems with my birds this last year than ever before. Mites are horrible. Plus other lovely things popping up. Just do the best you can. Hopefully you can figure something out that will be a preventive for the future.

We only hatched two of the UofA Salmon Faverolles. However, it appears to be a pullet and a cockerel. Both have 5 good toes on each foot. They are so cute, but stay hidden among the Sussex and Orpingtons in our brooder tote.

Congrats Mr Jim! I love the Fav babies. Mine had/have good toes too. I started with a trio but am down to a pair, like you.

Frontline is the answer to one problem here. I just can't believe how devastating to a bird these mites are.

Mites devastated me this year. I lost one of my keeper cockerels. It was horrible to see what the mites did to him. I had separated him to give him extra care. I lost him in four days. He passed away during his second bath I was giving him. Those mites just suck them dry. The poor guy was still molting and was a mass of quills.

It is to bad that our birds suffer at our inexperience.

Poularde, thank you so much for sharing my yolk of shame. It does lighten the burden when I hear others admit to their own trials and loss. I have managed to save three birds from mites this year and this was my methods (if anyone should be interested)

A bath is nice for quick relief of those biters already on them but only one bath is needed at the outset.
First ivermectin pour on, twice given at about 10 days apart and then a frontline application.
The bird must be sheltered from the hubbub of competition with other birds and from the expenditure of calories by having to fight or run about for food at least at first. And from cold.
Molasses or sugar water- what soda does for us it can do for them-- calories! I even mix in wheat flour sometimes or chicken broth or the gel from chicken soup
Lots and lots of free choice food, esp that which is bad for them as it would be considered bad for us (fatty foods, corn and the like)
With lots and lots of food they do get better, ie build muscle again.
I have not yet seen any more than one recover to a state of breeding, but she is very well and soon to begin laying. It was work but because she is of such a rare breed I feel its worth the work to save her. Its been a few months building her up but she is such a sight to see now and friendly as can be- we call her Fido.
Another note is that if you are looking for mites be sure to look at your males. Three times now its been said that the cockerels are the worst affected. I do not know why this is, but because they are the weaker of the sex as well it is so much easier to lose them to these little biters.
Other people discuss how to treat the coops. I have not done all this as my barn is an old stone one and I can't do much in it. I put down lyme and borax and DE. That's all I can manage. If the mites are starved out then it become maintenance. Treat every bird you get clean or no. You won't see the eggs if there aren't many.

Whats the difference between treating lice and mites? My chickens had lice last spring before one of the shows and all I did was dust them a couple days before the show with poultry/garden dust and then bathed them like you would for a show and they were spotless.
But to my dismay the Polish chickens next to mine at the show had lice.
barnie.gif

You can treat the same way for both. Lice are larger and won't damage the bird as badly so quickly. If you treat your birds with frontline it lasts on the chicken like it would on a dog.

Back
Top Bottom