Faverolles Thread

Over the winter I penned my boy Florus with a few ladies so that come broody time, I would get pures. I hatched out some lovely boys and a few very pretty ladies and this guy....

Now, if it were a different rooster that got in the pen, he'd not have so much white in him, as the other roo is a silkie/fav cross...

So, I do not think he could possibly be the daddy. That, and the pen was closed off ground to ceiling of the run, and their own coop. None of the other babies came out this way. The girls are properly colored, if a few are a bit more smudgy in them that didn't breed out. Beulah has a bit more black in her than she should, but otherwise conforms pretty much. Her daughters look just like her. BUT this guy... What do you all think? He is starting to blacken up though. Last week, there was no black in his feathers at all..
So, if the coloring is that far off, how do you know it's a roo? I know you're a lot more experienced at this than I am, so I'm hoping you can help me figure out how, other than color, to determine gender. Now I'm starting to wonder about one of mine, again. I had convinced myself that "she" didn't have enough black to be a "he". I don't want to wait until "she" crows!

Well, the comb is a pretty big indication on him. None of the girls have a comb at all yet at this age. They are also a light salmon like their mamas with a bit of black in the tail on two of them. The other 3 are the right color. This boy is the only one that is seriously off. I have been assured though by a lady who bred "Fudge", that he should look like a normal fav by the time he's full grown. We'll see. I just don't see it, but he is getting more black in him weekly...

Well, the comb is a pretty big indication on him. None of the girls have a comb at all yet at this age. They are also a light salmon like their mamas with a bit of black in the tail on two of them. The other 3 are the right color. This boy is the only one that is seriously off. I have been assured though by a lady who bred "Fudge", that he should look like a normal fav by the time he's full grown. We'll see. I just don't see it, but he is getting more black in him weekly...
He will likely change a LOT. I wish I could post pictures of some bantam red salmons from 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately they are on my dead computer. They were a solid rich red color as juveniles, yet mostly black as adults.

He will likely change a LOT. I wish I could post pictures of some bantam red salmons from 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately they are on my dead computer. They were a solid rich red color as juveniles, yet mostly black as adults.

send the hard drive to me and I will see if my sons computer shop can recover them for you... he does this sort of data recovery successfully all the time
wink.png

That's me. ;) Actually, I didn't breed Fudge, I hatched him, he was in my original batch of eggs from Dick. :) I think this cockerel will be light, but you will be amazed by how much he will change. I love that big black beard on that other cockerel, by the way.

What color were your wearing at the time? I have a roo who is sweet as pie...unless I happen to be wearing orange or red, in which case I evidently become the devil...worst part is, my favorite kick-around sweats are red
sad.png

You know, come to think about it - I think I was wearing a red t-shirt.....hmmmm.....he's acted a little odd before that, like when I reach in to get their water dispenser, he wanted to peck at me, but I don't remember what I was wearing.... Oh yeah - and when I use the RED coffee can to add feed to the feeder - he jumped and tried to peck at it! Goofy thing!

Well, I'll give him more time and I'll make a conscious effort to not wear red around the farm! I really like his size, he's a big boy.....

Thanks Sandi!

Hello, I'm looking for a few older (laying age or close to it) faverolle pairs. I'm in NE Ohio but I'd be willing to travel to the surrounding states for a few good pairs. I had several older chicks but 5 went missing today and I would really like to have a few older birds to ease my mind. They are really hard to find in this area!
Please let me know if any one had a few pairs they are willing to sell!

Thanks

All three have that big beard. They are amazing those beards. Lol. Florus's beard was like that until his ladies shaved him. Lol. Its grown back in finally...

gig.gif
That is hilarious! They shaved him!

I love that name, Florus, it just sounds like a noble Roman. I've always thought the roos look like little Roman sentries with their combs being the fuzzy red piece on top of the helmets they wore!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom