Faverolles Thread

You know, come to think about it - I think I was wearing a red t-shirt.....hmmmm.....he's acted a little odd before that, like when I reach in to get their water dispenser, he wanted to peck at me, but I don't remember what I was wearing.... Oh yeah - and when I use the RED coffee can to add feed to the feeder - he jumped and tried to peck at it! Goofy thing!

Well, I'll give him more time and I'll make a conscious effort to not wear red around the farm! I really like his size, he's a big boy.....

Thanks Sandi!

wink.png
... only reason I realized it myself was hearing a story in BYC magazine a long time ago about an annoying visitor getting chased off because her pants looked like a tomato. Put 2 + 2 together along with some experience and figured it out- now I leave the red pants for housework LOL

Hello, I'm looking for a few older (laying age or close to it) faverolle pairs. I'm in NE Ohio but I'd be willing to travel to the surrounding states for a few good pairs. I had several older chicks but 5 went missing today and I would really like to have a few older birds to ease my mind. They are really hard to find in this area!
Please let me know if any one had a few pairs they are willing to sell!

Thanks

check with fancy favie, she may be able to help you out

Hello, I'm looking for a few older (laying age or close to it) faverolle pairs. I'm in NE Ohio but I'd be willing to travel to the surrounding states for a few good pairs. I had several older chicks but 5 went missing today and I would really like to have a few older birds to ease my mind. They are really hard to find in this area!
Please let me know if any one had a few pairs they are willing to sell!

Thanks
A lady named beaglady has some older ones last time I was their. Pm her to see if she might have any for sale.

Finally got my little Fav last night! She's so cute and worth the 7week wait! She's 6 weeks old. My other hens are about 9 weeks old, so she's separated from them at the moment..especially since she has a lot of missing feathers from being bullied from her last flock. I know Favs can be easily bullied. I'm hoping my flock takes to her quickly. My dh put her in there for a second, and one of my SS pecked at her and was acting aggressive and loud, so I got her out of there and put her on the bottom level of my grow out pen. She found a way to get into where my other hens are last night, she must've been lonely. They didn't go at her again, but I was afraid they would peck her during the night, and I put her on the bottom level of my grow out pen again. My dh is making a screened divider that will keep the other girls separate, but visible. I'll do that for a day or 2, and hopefully, she'll be accepted in. I'll post pics of her later

He's very unique looking! I like him...

Speaking of cockerels, I'm so frustrated at my experiences with SF roos..... I had another boy lose his mind on Monday. I was just walking in his general direction, not even paying attention to him, when he jumped up like he would run, then turned and raised his hackles and jumped at me! He's huge, I like his size, but his color is not quite as good as his brother. But the brother doesn't have the size or depth of "keel" (I learned that from Cloverleaf
wink.png
) It seems I just can't have a nice SF roo
sad.png
- he doesn't have to be friendly or like me, just don't attack me!

I knew it was coming. His behavior has been slightly off as of late.....And, for the record, I don't handle my roos.....
HI There, 2 of my 4 LF boyz have done the same thing to me this year....I have NEVER had this happen with Favs before. I too have been trying to analyze this and will remember what i am wearing next time. It has never happened when they are out and free ranging only several times when i am in their pen with or without food.....Its the 2 dominant roos who are in separate breeding groups. One has a sweet brother with him, the other solo and is my love,(the 4th, a nice hatchery roo son has never) no i don't handle my roos. This has happened about once a month since they have matured with one and my love 2c. Each time i don't let them get away with it.... i GRAB them by the feet and neck, shake them and bang my hand holding them against the fence to scare them. after i let them go they avoid me like the plague.
I think alot is their way of protecting their family, they are very watchful and protective in general and i have had more eagle and hawk presence this year and just lost one of 2 Barny roos last week to an eagle so they may be proactive. I rarely let anyone out anymore unless i am working nearby.

I have had 2 roos in my life ( both EE) that would at every opportunity try to hurt me, the favs only occasionally so have been trying to observe for triggers....These guys are special to me so its a waiting game.
eliz PS, they are REAL big roos tooo..

Last edited:
HI There, 2 of my 4 LF boyz have done the same thing to me this year....I have NEVER had this happen with Favs before. I too have been trying to analyze this and will remember what i am wearing next time. It has never happened when they are out and free ranging and several times when i am in their pen with or without food.....Its the 2 dominant roos who are in separate breeding groups. One has a sweet brother with him, the other solo and is my love,(the 4th, a nice hatchery roo son has never) no i don't handle my roos. This has happened about once a month since they have matured with one and my love 2c. Each time i don't let them get away with it.... i GRAB them by the feet and neck, shake them and bang my hand holding them against the fence to scare them. after i let them go they avoid me like the plague.
I think alot is their way of protecting their family, they are very watchful and protective in general and i have had more eagle and hawk presence this year and just lost one of 2 Barny roos last week to an eagle so they may be proactive. I rarely let anyone out anymore unless i am working nearby.

I have had 2 roos in my life ( both EE) that would at every opportunity try to hurt me, the favs only occasionally so have been trying to observe for triggers....These guys are special to me so its a waiting game.
eliz PS, they are REAL big roos tooo..

I have 2 brothers that share a large bachelor pad and occasionally get dates with the girls. During the day I let them free range in an area separate from the hens... A few weeks ago I noticed the dominant roo having his way with the lower one
roll.png

Several times the one has acted mildly aggressive, but I thought it might be my imagination...Then, one day everybody was out together, all day, and I was just walking by them and he must've thought I was coming at him, because he jumped and turned toward me all flared up and he actually ran and jumped at me. I lost it
somad.gif
- If I could've caught his feathered self..... The last one was absolutely horrible. I couldn't go out there without him waging war.....

I just don't understand what happens. It's like a switch being flipped. It happens at 8 months to a year, every time. I don't think handling really has much to do with it, my PeeWee was handled extensively and he never showed any aggression as an adult.

I've only encountered one mean Fav male. He didn't bother with sneak attacks, he went straight for the face. He wasn't around for long.

My only remaining rooster will walk up to me sideways when I open the coop door. It's all a bluff though, he gets out of my way when I walk in.

Back
Top Bottom