Faverolles Thread

You girls are lucky. This guy doesn't get out of the way, he comes right at me. I don't usually handle the hens when I'm out there, sometimes that upsets them, from what I've read, so I don't think it's just me being around the girls.

The current problem child, when he first displayed bad behavior I happened to have a water hose in my hand, filling dispensers, and I sprayed him down good with it. That kept him away for about a month, but I guess the shock and awe has finally worn off!

How Cute!

- I love your avatar! Something definitely has their attention
smile.png
TY
smile.png

You girls are lucky. This guy doesn't get out of the way, he comes right at me. I don't usually handle the hens when I'm out there, sometimes that upsets them, from what I've read, so I don't think it's just me being around the girls.

The current problem child, when he first displayed bad behavior I happened to have a water hose in my hand, filling dispensers, and I sprayed him down good with it. That kept him away for about a month, but I guess the shock and awe has finally worn off!

try a water pistol to remind him... and add some white vinegar and go for the head, wont hurt him at all, but the sting should take much of the fight out of him

Wow! Hearing all this talk about aggressive roosters surprises me. I would not keep a rooster that behaves like that. My understanding is that Favs are supposed to be docile. I have only had one aggressive Fav rooster. He is no longer with us. I am still new at this, but part of my selection of breeding roosters is temperament. I handle my roosters quite a bit. I have a few who do not like it. They have to still be good and let me handle them. Part of my deciding factors on breeds to work with is docile easy to handle roosters. I want to enjoy my boys. Good luck to you all.
hugs.gif

I've been surprised as well. I wondered myself if its because breeders aren't also selecting for temperament. Would be a pity if that got bred out.

I've been surprised as well. I wondered myself if its because breeders aren't also selecting for temperament. Would be a pity if that got bred out.

That would be a pity for sure!! I have eggs in the bator and hope to get at least a trio out of them! And a mean roo would not do! I had a mean roo once but it was a mutt.

Exactly. A mean rooster= dinner. I've only had to process one large fowl Fav boy for aggression and he was not from my line.

I don't handle my boys unless I have to for some reason, but they stay out of my way. ;)

Wow! Hearing all this talk about aggressive roosters surprises me. I would not keep a rooster that behaves like that. My understanding is that Favs are supposed to be docile. I have only had one aggressive Fav rooster. He is no longer with us. I am still new at this, but part of my selection of breeding roosters is temperament. I handle my roosters quite a bit. I have a few who do not like it. They have to still be good and let me handle them. Part of my deciding factors on breeds to work with is docile easy to handle roosters. I want to enjoy my boys. Good luck to you all.
hugs.gif

Yes, it surprises me too - over, and over, and over again
roll.png
I promise I'm not making this stuff up..... It was always part of my plan to select for temperament, but at this point I wouldn't have a rooster left for breeding! I have hope for one boy right now, so far, so good.

I must be doing something to provoke it and I just can't see what it is......I had a French Marans roo and he was wonderful, he would take treats from my hand and give it to the girls - he was never aggressive.
hmm.png
The best rooster I ever had....

You might want to get another rooster. I went through nine Fav roosters before I found one who is polite and a gentleman to the ladies. I have quite a few of his sons growing out. Let me know if you need a new boy. I personally like having roosters that I can trust. It's funny. I had the opposite problem of you. I first wanted to breed Black copper Marans. I gave up when I could not find a rooster who was well behaved. Hard decisions. I think there is too many nice roosters out there to waste your time on a mean one. Enjoy your birds.
smile.png

You might want to get another rooster.  I went through nine Fav roosters before I found one who is polite and a gentleman to the ladies.  I have quite a few of his sons growing out.  Let me know if you need a new boy.  I personally like having roosters that I can trust.  It's funny.  I had the opposite problem of you.  I first wanted to breed Black copper Marans.  I gave up when I could not find a rooster who was well behaved.  Hard decisions.  I think there is too many nice roosters out there to waste your time on a mean one.  Enjoy your birds.:)

Agreed. Rita, if you need new boys, I'll have extras by the end of Summer....

Back
Top Bottom