Faverolles Thread

I conversed briefly with Peter Merlin and Dick Boulanger back in 2010, I think, when I first got Faverolles. My recollection is that one way of breeding these birds is to select females and males to compensate in some way for the fault of the other, to produce a male or female bird with desired characteristics. But the real trick is to establish a flock in which the same pairing produces outstanding males and females, and does so consistently across the flock and across the generations. Is anyone working toward this kind of goal with their flock?

This is my goal with my flock.
smile.png

What traits are you focusing on? I've seen general poultry breeding schemes that suggest that you select for "type" first, and "color" last, but the complexity of the patterning in Salmon Faverolles would seem to demand that color should be an early consideration, rather than a late one. Honestly, I am watching the color patterns in my birds all the time, but rarely count toes.

Also, since I have limited space and can't grow out dozens of birds in a season, I am thinking about aiming for consistency of color not only in the adult, but also in the juvenile. I had one cockerel that had clean, even color from the very beginning - even as a chick - and it really made me wonder if aiming for consistent coloring within each juvenile will help me get consistent coloring across the flock, even when I only have a small number of birds to work with.

I would love to hear about the things you think about as you select your birds, and what has worked and what hasn't.

What traits are you focusing on? I've seen general poultry breeding schemes that suggest that you select for "type" first, and "color" last, but the complexity of the patterning in Salmon Faverolles would seem to demand that color should be an early consideration, rather than a late one. Honestly, I am watching the color patterns in my birds all the time, but rarely count toes.

Also, since I have limited space and can't grow out dozens of birds in a season, I am thinking about aiming for consistency of color not only in the adult, but also in the juvenile. I had one cockerel that had clean, even color from the very beginning - even as a chick - and it really made me wonder if aiming for consistent coloring within each juvenile will help me get consistent coloring across the flock, even when I only have a small number of birds to work with.

I would love to hear about the things you think about as you select your birds, and what has worked and what hasn't.

Unfortunately Faverolles cockerels mature slowly. Some lines have "cleaner" juveniles, others have "messy" ones. That doesn't make one better than the other. In my experience my cleaner juvies have a darker wingbow at maturity, while the messy, calico patterned ones have a lighter wingbow. But that's all - the coloring is not indicative of type. Crazy colored cockerels do not mature into messy roosters. If you need to downsize some youngsters look for some more obvious problems. Check combs - get rid of those with side springs or other comb defects, or too many points, select for smaller combs if you wish. Toes -get rid of those with extra toes or nails, webbing between 4th and 5th toes, or really badly placed toes. Check for split wing and slipped wing. Look closely at heads - definitely get rid of any with narrow or long heads- only keep those with nice broad heads. If they are older check pelvic width - the wider the better for both sexes.

As for what to focus on, that will depend on your breeders. Do you need smaller combs, better tailset, better toes, heavier/larger birds, wider back, better muffs/beard? Each flock is different.

I have some questions about Faverolles.  I'm still trying to settle on one breed to raise, and Faverolles, large fowl, are on my short list....

First, how are they are foraging?  Are they fairly hardy, or delicate to raise?  And has anyone butchered one?  I know they were originally raised for meat more than for eggs, and am wondering how good a meat bird they are (I know they aren't going to look like a Cornish Cross).

Kathleen

My faverolles are not even a month old and they are amazing foragers! They were eating bugs at like 3 days old...they impressed me very much! I just hand fed one a tick off my dog within the last hour :)

Quote: As the common saying goes, you "build the barn, then paint it." A beautifully colored bird is no good if it also has some of the poorer physical traits Cindy mentioned above. I have a beautifully colored cockerel right now, but every day his beak splits farther apart, so I could never breed him or show him, no matter how great his color is. (Which, of course, is fabulous - sigh.) It's much harder to get rid of bad traits than to build good traits. It literally takes years to get rid of bad genes! Color in a Faverolles is certainly one of the hallmarks of the breed, but I would never breed a poorly built bird with beautiful color over a well-built bird with less than ideal color. Part of that reasoning is that you have to remember what the breed what created for - for meat and eggs - so a weak-looking Faverolles is just not going to cut it, no matter how great the color pattern is. You certainly picked one of the most challenging color patterns out there! Check out Champion Row at the next show - you'll find that most of the birds are solid colors, mostly black or white. That's because, no matter the breed, patterned birds are very hard to get "just right." But, when you see a good one, it's worth all the years of effort you've put into it, so don't give up.

Quote: I have three bantam whites right now, even though both parents present as salmon. The father has produced these before, so he has it somewhere in his background. I had to wait for the combs to show up before I could tell the difference in sex. They certainly are pretty! And I would LOVE to have some LF whites someday!

here is my auction eggs salmon favorallas , shipped eggs, 13 of 14 hatched. 3 died. they are getting dark in their wings. are those female like in the wheaten marans...
9/10 of my salmon chicks came in with dark feathers, so I really couldn't tell the roos for sure until week 3 when neck, chest and leg feathers started coming in black. The pullets now have salmon feathers pretty filled out, definitely not mahogany, even considering they started out so dark.... Roos typically have slower growing feathers though so regardless of coloring, the feather fullness of the wing is noticeable at two weeks.

Look closely at heads - definitely get rid of any with narrow or long heads- only keep those with nice broad heads. If they are older check pelvic width - the wider the better for both sexes.
I assume you are referring to 'crow's head' here. I never heard of the pelvic check for males. Is there a reason this is better for the breed? I know its good for hens on account of egg laying. Does this have to do with meat or overall body size?

I'm so happy to have found this thread! I finally got my first Salmon Faverolles a few weeks ago, a breed I've wanted to try for a long time. I got mine from a breeder in Adrian, MO. I bought a pair of six week olds and three, 1 week old chicks that turned out to be two cockerels and a pullet. The youngest pullet isn't colored correctly. Her whole body is salmon and her head and beard are cream. Is this something she will grow out of when mature, or is this a case of 'she is what she is'? The older pullet is lovely though!

I'm loving how laid back they seem to be. The older cockerel comes running when I put my hand down and I'm constantly tripping over him because he's often underfoot. I have A LOT of birds, so it's not like I'm out there coddling him all day. He's just that friendly.

Back
Top Bottom