Faverolles Thread

Quote:
The Salmon Favs that I bought from them a couple years ago were pet quality. They were smaller than breeder stock, and I didn't care for the flatter, smaller beards on the males and most of the males seemed to have weak toes. I kept my favorite 2 females, They were smaller but hardy and had nice beards, color, decent feet, good temperaments. I currently have 3 babies from my last Sandhill Salmon girl (crossed with a breeder stock male) growing out right now. I lost my Sandy, her sister Summer and another couple of Faverolles to the heat this last summer. My favs from them were clearly faverolles and having had hatchery stock favs before, they were similar or slightly better. I have heard that some folks are not having satisfactory results from hatcheries these days regarding favs, so they might be a decent choice if you are looking for pet quality back yard birds.

That's what I thought. I'll just order my midget whites from sandhill and get the favs from some of the suppliers that you nice people have suggested to me.
Have you ordered from Sand Hill before? They're a little different than most places. I would get your order in now.

I actually think I'm going to order eggs or poults from a private breeder, same with the faverolles. Hatcheries, no matter how small, just give me pause. I am really into breeding to the SOP of any breed that I have.

Greetings,
I'm not a follower of this thread so I don't know if this has already been posted but I thought I'd share it. The Winter 2013 edition of Practical Poultry has a nice write up on Faverolles. It's an English E-magazine.
BTW, I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your birds. Good luck with your breeding!!

I don't know a lot about faverolles because I show silkies and I've never really shown anything else but I bought this pair and was wondering what you all thought of them? I showed them at a show a couple weeks ago and the pullet got BB and the cockerel got RB but they were the only bantam Faverolles in the junior show and when I asked the judge about them he said he didn't know much about the breed. I'm not sure how old they are but they're still pretty young.

I don't know a lot about faverolles because I show silkies and I've never really shown anything else but I bought this pair and was wondering what you all thought of them? I showed them at a show a couple weeks ago and the pullet got BB and the cockerel got RB but they were the only bantam Faverolles in the junior show and when I asked the judge about them he said he didn't know much about the breed. I'm not sure how old they are but they're still pretty young.
what show was you at and who was the judge? Is the pullet laying yet?

Those of you who raise LF Faverolles, I'm wondering how old they are when they're finally full-grown. I just got two hens today from Ron Patterson, and they are huge! I thought my pullet from a member on here was big, but she's not as big as these hens. She's eight months old, so now I'm wondering if she'll get as big as the new ones, or if she'll always be a little smaller than they are. I don't care that she's smaller, I'm just curious how old they usually are before they're fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom