Faverolles Thread

UPDATE!!!

In two months time my favs have grown quite a bit, and their feathers have gotten so thick! Just took lots of love and good food.

Hey everyone.
So I'm a bit worried about little 'favvy' ( named by my 3 yr old son.. Origional huh?!) Tried to get you a good photo of her beak but will try again if these photos not good enough. Read to clip it with a sharp dog nail clippers.. Any advice from you experts?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Thanks!!

I'm trying to view on my phone so bit hard to see but it has a definate cross over??

I have a cross beak who also had a longer bottom beak than top. We had the bottom beak trimmed so she could drink properly as she ended up soaked down the front all the time and always seemed to be at the water bowl.

What I would do is first spend a bit of time observing her and see if it is affecting her ability to eat or drink. If so then take a really good look at where its crossing and see if clipping an end or filing down a side slightly is going to allow it to straighten more. So its not just a matter of clip it back, its determining what being trimmed will allow it to straighten.

Ours has a high side on her bottom beak that stops the top sitting over it as well so I'm just slowly filing that down with a nail file so that the top beak won't catch there and stop. She is eating and drinking okay since the bottom beak clip though so this is now just fine tuning.

When you do clip go slowly. You should be able to see where the just beak starts and the blood supply ends. If you go too far too quick it could bleed. Ours had to go back into live tissue to work and I was glad the vet did it cause there was blood everywhere.

Last edited:
Hello lovely Faverolles folks! New to the thread here and have a question!
I've adored faverolles for a long time but have only fairly recently acquired a nice trio of salmon bantams. I incubated some of their eggs to test fertility and the dozen I've set so far were all fertile (I've done a staggered hatch - 5 have hatched, 3 died trying to hatch, 2 go into lockdown tomorrow, and 2 quit in shell).
Now, 2 of the 5 that have hatched, and one of the three that died hatching, have completely conjoined outer 2 toes. None of the parents have this.
Are toe deformities common in faverolles? Obviously I don't plan to breed these babies, but is this a genetic thing (although the parents are normal)? Would the roo, hen, either/neither be at fault?
Here are two different babies:

Last edited:
Hello lovely Faverolles folks! New to the thread here and have a question!
I've adored faverolles for a long time but have only fairly recently acquired a nice trio of salmon bantams. I incubated some of their eggs to test fertility and the dozen I've set so far were all fertile (I've done a staggered hatch - 5 have hatched, 3 died trying to hatch, 2 go into lockdown tomorrow, and 2 quit in shell).
Now, 2 of the 5 that have hatched, and one of the three that died hatching, have completely conjoined outer 2 toes. None of the parents have this.
Are toe deformities common in faverolles? Obviously I don't plan to breed these babies, but is this a genetic thing (although the parents are normal)? Would the roo, hen, either/neither be at fault?
Here are two different babies:
I haven't seen this, but I've only had Faverolles for a few years. Since it seems to have affected approximately 50% of the chicks I would consider a possible genetic link. It could be the combination of your male and one of the hens is producing it. A test mating would be needed to decide one way or another. Also, what kind of incubator are you using?

I haven't seen this, but I've only had Faverolles for a few years. Since it seems to have affected approximately 50% of the chicks I would consider a possible genetic link. It could be the combination of your male and one of the hens is producing it. A test mating would be needed to decide one way or another. Also, what kind of incubator are you using?

Ah, I don't know how the idea of test breeding slipped my mind. I've been on the lookout for some more nice bantams locally, but I'm searching in the wrong time of year I guess. I do have a silkie roo I could try pairing the girls with individually to see if they still throw the 2/5 joined toes..if only they'd get back to laying again for me. Good plan, thanks.
I've been incubating them in my trusty Brinsea mini Eco, but it's notoriously bad for hatching out, so they get moved to a homemade styro-bator at lockdown. The humidity fluctuates a lot in the styro, but otherwise it's great.

Back
Top Bottom