Faverolles Thread

I like the wing placement of the male in the first picture over the other. But then I had issues with split/slipped wings last year and that's what I'm hoping to improve on this year.

Ahh, thank you. I was going to mention that I was starting to think one male had a split wing, but overlooked it. I have not noticed it in both wings, or in my pullets.

So I should probably go with my original plan, split them into trios, and keep recording my hatches. Though this brings up with problem of...
Should I use the darker pullets with the first cock to give offspring some better colored males, and the lighter color hens to improve Comb andfemale offspring color? Or put the lighter pullets with the cock, for better type, and the darker hens with the cockerel (2nd picture you quoted) for better color and comb??m

1. These three have the best combs. The cockerel in the middle is my best male, though he is only 9 months old. His fifth toe and leg feathers need improvement.
2. This is the same cockerel. Normally, he holds his tail lower, as you can see in the other pictures. His comb needs work, but overall I am happy with him.

3. All my pullets need improvement to the darkerfeathers that should be in wings and tail.
4. This cock has been sun bleached but he needs more dark on his back. He has a goodtail and stance, comb is not good, and big.this is where I am srruggling.
Do I put the two pullets with the darkest wing/tail color with him, and hope it improves male offspring enough to make it worth keeping him for his tail or do I just put all the hens with the overall better cockerel,

You have some beautiful faverolles

How are the tails on your pullets?

If it were me I'd split them into 2 trios. See what you get for chicks, and if there are any obvious consistent faults such as extra toes/nails, split wings (I could see some of those at a very young age), bad combs, etc. Then I'd switch the males. It's a lot of work but I plan on doing a lot of rotating myself this year to hopefully weed out issues.

I have a 7 month old LF Salmon Faverolle rooster who shows very little interest in the girls. He spends most of the day on the roost and only gets down to eat. I have 5 other roosters of other breeds but I've never had one so timid. This is my first Faverolle roo. Are they always this afraid? I was hoping he would breed my 2 Faverolle hens but they don't seem interested in him.

Quote:
I would try to go with pullet/cockerel lines: the darker males with the darker females, and the lighter males with the lighter females. In the dark lines you'll get better cockerels, the light line will give you better pullets. The comb on the darker male could be a bit better, but it's not bad. The other cock is needing some darker color, like you said. Still, a very nice lot!

I have a 7 month old LF Salmon Faverolle rooster who shows very little interest in the girls. He spends most of the day on the roost and only gets down to eat. I have 5 other roosters of other breeds but I've never had one so timid. This is my first Faverolle roo. Are they always this afraid? I was hoping he would breed my 2 Faverolle hens but they don't seem interested in him.

Yes, Faverolles are a timid breed. If you want pure Faverolles then you will have to pen them separately. That would be true for any of the breeds you have.

welcome-byc.gif

If your SF rooster is in with other roosters, he may not eat enough nor get enough water to survive.

I had read that Faverolles don't do well in a mixed flock because they're so easily bullied. I've watched my group very closely, because the Favs are my favorite and I want to make sure they have happy lives. So far, in my group of 43 birds (8 are roos and two of those are Favs) everyone seems to be getting along fine. My mature Australorp roo is most bothered by my White Giant because he wants to breed EVERYBODY. And for some reason my little Lakenvelder boy is getting chased a lot so he spends most of his day out at the horse barn. But my two Faverolles roos just waltz around, breed anyone they want, have no troubles at mealtime and the boss roo doesn't even look twice at them. I think maybe it's because they aren't so obnoxious about breeding. They don't run around after the hens and make a scene like some of the other boys do. I've also never heard either of them crow. It's like they just keep their heads down and blend with the crowd. LOL!

I do plan to separate my Fav roo Angus and pen him with his girls so I can get some purebred chicks. But the other birds can mix and match. LOL!

My "original" bantams' eggs have always hatched at 19 days. However, I have never hatched "bantamized" LF chicks. My LF eggs have always hatched at 21 days. My question is for those of you that have hatched both: Do bantam Faverolles hatch out at times closer to bantams or closer to LF? I know most people say they all hatch at 21 days regardless of breed or size, but mine don't. I have seen where other people have the 19 days for hatching bantams, too.

PS
I have 3 blue bantam salmon Faverolles eggs at day 19 today....wondering if it will be today or two days from now...I know...I am just anxious and excited!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom