Faverolles Thread

Has anyone else introduced Faverolles to other breeds? I've introduced my two to my other two buff Sussex today and they are getting quite badly bullied. They won't stick up for themselves at all! I knew they were a docile breed, but I really don't want to have to keep two seperate flocks permanently.

Has anyone else introduced Faverolles to other breeds? I've introduced my two to my other two buff Sussex today and they are getting quite badly bullied. They won't stick up for themselves at all! I knew they were a docile breed, but I really don't want to have to keep two seperate flocks permanently.
Faverolles are sweeties and normally will not fight, but will get bullied. You might need to keep them seperate. I do.

I think generally speaking, Faverolles should be kept with breeds displaying similar dispositions, such as Dorkings, and Orpingtons. Sussex fowls, whilst not as bad as some, can be by comparison a bit rugged for Faverolles.
Keep in mind too that not every line of Dorkings and Orpingtons have been bred to retain these gentle dispositions. Many breeders will breed for personal preferences within the SOP, eschewing less noticeable, but still important characteristics. Some of those lost in the process may be broodiness in pullets, egg size and yes, temperament.
In the end, my advice would be to ask reputable and experienced breeders of Dorkings, Orpingtons,Cochins even Silkies, if they're breeding for a gentle disposition in addition to the other more quantifiable traits. When you find someone with those, you'll have a source for birds that can and should get along just fine with your Faverolles.

Kind regards,
Kevin

Thanks Allot, Pamela for posting pics…..I really like the way Your boys are broad and have that compact shape Faverolles are supposed to have. Who are the boys….I see Your labeling on everyone…The chicks really are nice….and the grey blue is beautiful…Are the solid colored grown splash cream or white with splashes or can they be blue with splashes too or ????
Thanks, eliz

Thanks Allot, Pamela for posting pics…..I really like the way Your boys are broad and have that compact shape Faverolles are supposed to have. Who are the boys….I see Your labeling on everyone…The chicks really are nice….and the grey blue is beautiful…Are the solid colored grown splash cream or white with splashes or can they be blue with splashes too or ????
Thanks, eliz
My Splash Male (Splish Splash) is White with Blue splash.

Back
Top Bottom