Faverolles Thread

Here are some pictures of one of only two pullets I have decided to keep for next year breeders. I do have some new blood chicks growing out, but they are only two months and haven't even looked them over yet.

Please feel free to give me very honest criticisms about her. She is 4.5 months old, so I still expect her to widen, but she is slimmer then I would like. I do like her feathering and posture. Tor placement and leg feathering is fine.

please let me know what you think!

Greetings :)

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular line of LF Faverolles that is known for being more consistently broody then others?

Cheers,
M

Mine go broody regularly, but this year, none have actually stayed broody long enough to hatch chicks. Last year 3 of them did hatch out chicks and all went broody at one time or another, but no one was interested in letting them hatch anything so I don't know if they would have stayed broody that long or not.

Unfortunately, I don't know what lines these birds come from. I only know they were all purchased from a single breeder outside the state of Texas. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at least you know someone out there has broodiness in their lines.

Im wanting some more info on toe placement and breeding. I have one rooster and one hen and from them I have a few babys, I havent really got to look at all of them too close yet but one has a toe almost like a dew claws(the babys). I know this wouldnt be a show quaility bird but what are the percentages even if you have a show pair and breed them that they will have a few babies that arent uo to the s.o.p.
Im wondering if I should invest in a better breeding pair or just cull out the less desirables.

What Keesmom said, or, look at it this way:

Generally, for every 100 chicks you hatch out from quality parents, only six of those will be champion quality. That's what it's so important to breed only the best, and hold off on the breeding until you have it. Those bad genes will show up virtually forever. They're always waiting in the background.

Mine go broody regularly, but this year, none have actually stayed broody long enough to hatch chicks. Last year 3 of them did hatch out chicks and all went broody at one time or another, but no one was interested in letting them hatch anything so I don't know if they would have stayed broody that long or not.

Unfortunately, I don't know what lines these birds come from. I only know they were all purchased from a single breeder outside the state of Texas. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at least you know someone out there has broodiness in their lines.

Hey, thank you for this :) Did you inherit the flock, is that why you're unaware of its origin? I wonder if they are privately bred or hatchery.....oh well. Thanks for the tip!

M

I bought out a breeder who assured me that he had purchased all his original stock from two breeders and none were hatchery stock. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember who he purchased them from. He had deliberately started his flock with birds from out of state breeders, that is why I know they weren't from a breeder in Texas.

I bought out a breeder who assured me that he had purchased all his original stock from two breeders and none were hatchery stock. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember who he purchased them from. He had deliberately started his flock with birds from out of state breeders, that is why I know they weren't from a breeder in Texas.

You're fast, lol. Thank you for the info, I was just in the process of searching the thread so you saved me some time :)
How do you find they grow out?

M

I should mention that if these are hatchery birds, they are awfully nice ones. All toes are pretty much perfect and confirmation is good. Only 2 of the original flock had less than ideal coloring and all had nice beards and muffs. I've seen better, but not from hatchery stock.

The cockerels could use deeper coloring. Some of the pullets are a little muddy. Temperament is very mild. A few of the pullets haven't been as thick as I would like. But all the cockerels have been deep and wide. Combs haven't been perfect on the boys by a long shot, but we eat the ones that clearly aren't breeder quality and they have all tasted great and dressed out at a good size.

My partner brought a dozen salmon faverolles eggs on the plane with him coming back from holidays with family in Melbourne along with plymouth rocks and australorps and I only hatched one faverolles "Disco" which is in the photo. From experience I'd have to say it is one of the dumbest breeds (intelligence wise) I've ever owned but I love her to bits.

She keeps wedging herself between my shed and aviary, which has only a small gap between the two buildings and squeals for help each time. Managed to get stuck under a metal pot by, I'm assuming, perching on the edge of it and her weight making the pot topple down from where I had it placed to turn upside down with her inside. Oh the cries she made until I came out to find her!! She also doesn't learn that the older, more established hens are bullies and always hangs out with them to get flogged; her hatch mates know better.

Other than that she is super friendly, as many seem to mention about the breed. Highly amusing and if I could, I would only have a flock of them. Love how puffy they look and how gentle they are to handle. The little feathered shanks are adorable and I love the 5 toes (though she only has 5 toes on one foot unfortuently. I think it must have been a bad breeder) and early sexing was a bonus. Not at all very vocal either but I've only owned the one so whatever I've had is probably different to everyone else's experiences.

Would love to read about other experiences with them.

Back
Top Bottom