Faverolles Thread

The best genetics scenario website IMO is the Kippenjungle chicken genetics calculator. I could spend hours there!

The 5 toe gene is considered dominant. However, partial expression in the phenotype is known to happen occasionally in crosses. Some chicks may get four toes on one foot, yet five on the other. The genotype in those individuals would be carriers for both traits.

Mixes can sometimes surprise you of course. I'd be interested to see your crosses, they're always cute....there's always more to learn too! Life is uncertain :confused:

I have four Faverolles crosses. They are all super cute and have tons of leg feathers. Three of them have normal 5 toes, and one of them has the two rear toes that are sort of connected and not separate. Three of the chicks are supposed to be out of Welsummer eggs. The fourth is out of a green egg, but has a straight comb so I'm assuming it does not carry the blue egg gene. The latter is the most friendly and also the cutest. He has cockerel coloring (by Easter Egger standards) but doesn't not act like a cockerel yet. His comb is reddish, but I've had pullets that had larger combs at 6 weeks. He is not sparring with the know cockerels so my fingers are crossed that he'll be a pullet. If it is a pullet he'll be the only one out of the bunch that I'll keep. The rest of them are looking for a new home.

Pics from Monday. They are 6 weeks.

The one with weird toes.

The Easter Egger

Last edited:
HELP needed! I just got my day old chicks order and my Salmon Faverolle has a buldging eyeball. The eyeball itself is huge. She is a bit wobbly too. She is attempting to eat but I haven't seen her drink. I don't know if this could be caused by being pecked in the eye by one of the other chicks or what. What should I do? This is my first order of chicks. All my other birds were bought locally. Here's a few pictures. It is her left eye (right eye in pics) eyes are closed in this pic.
eyes open.
big eye.

HELP needed! I just got my day old chicks order and my Salmon Faverolle has a buldging eyeball. The eyeball itself is huge. She is a bit wobbly too. She is attempting to eat but I haven't seen her drink. I don't know if this could be caused by being pecked in the eye by one of the other chicks or what. What should I do? This is my first order of chicks. All my other birds were bought locally. Here's a few pictures. It is her left eye (right eye in pics) eyes are closed in this pic.
eyes open.
big eye.

I answered your other post first. The eyeball issue seems to be a genetic issue that comes up in Faverolles. It is not common but does occur. There is not much you can do but wait. Unfortunately the affected chicks usually don't make it.

Last edited:
I answered your other post first. The eyeball issue seems to be a genetic issue that comes up in Faverolles. It is not common but does occur. There is not much you can do but wait. Unfortunately the affected chicks usually don't make it.
my poor baby! Ugh!!!! The hatchery wasnt much help. Just said to try eye drops and hope for the best. Is it a neurological issue?

Ok...im usually the one answering these questions, but Faverolles are new to me! Both of my chicks have a lot of dark feathers. .even coming in on the neck and chest. They ARE from a hatchery, so I dont expect them to be perfect but...I have a feeling I have 2 little boys

They're 2 weeks :)

Ok...im usually the one answering these questions, but Faverolles are new to me! Both of my chicks have a lot of dark feathers. .even coming in on the neck and chest. They ARE from a hatchery, so I dont expect them to be perfect but...I have a feeling I have 2 little boys

They're 2 weeks
smile.png
They are pullets.

I have a Faverolles from Ideal. I have a sweet little girl with a now, white/blind eye. I wondered the same about her, thinking that perhaps another chick had pecked her. After your post I wonder if it's a genetic problem at Ideal. I also got 2 roosters, one of which is seperated from the ladies because of a "scissor beak". I just love favorelles and have found that neither of these problems, has caused problems. My "one eye blind" girl, gets along just fine with everyone, but if you got yours from Ideal, I'll put her in with the scissor beak rooster and not hatch any of their eggs......I haven't heard of a bulging blind eye genetic disorder, but I guess there could be one.

Back
Top Bottom