Faverolles Thread

Jaana, beautiful birds, Tell us more about Faverolles in Finland….Are there very many people raising them, other established colors??? Bantam-Lg. Fowl? Thanks for Sharing.
smile.png

Thanks! I try to tell something about our Faverolles now. As you know, English is not my own language so if I write something that you don't understand, please let me know so I can explain
smile.png
And you can ask, too. I can try to answer with my average English.

We don´t have any big Faverolles breeders or hatcherys, they are all home raised. I think that we have quite small group of people who have these stunning birds. Of course I don't know all Faverolles from Finland but I think that this is not very popular breed in Finland!

I try to change that and tell those who ask that this breed is great pet chicken! Big, gentle, social, noisy in good way, quite good layer, weatherproof (we have four seasons here, summer - winter are both hard in own ways!).....

They are all large fowls, my own roo weight is over 4 kilos! One lady have pair of Bantams, I saw picture in our chicken forum a while ago but don't know anything else about them. Where did she get those animals and does she still have those or....

Bringing "new blood" in our population is quite hard, we have strict orders for import animals and eggs, too. Our supervision institute, "Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira" haven't admit any import permission in 10 years! so.... That have to mean that if there are new, rare breeds - young birds, eggs.. They are illegal?! They demand different tests from the sending coop/animals. All egg sellers or buyers are not ready to do this cos it's quite expensive and difficult thing to do. All those permissions costs too, several hundreds.
Here in Finland these purebred chickens like Faverolles are just hobby for us, crazy chicken ladies
big_smile.png
We don't have official shows or anything. Coops are small, only for own organic eggs and meat. It's rare that somebody put lot of money for buying eggs abroad legally cos it's difficult and expensive project. And as we can see, there are not legal imports in 10 years. Evira try to avoid all those hard diseases with those strict qualifications. I can't even sell my eggs for my friends if I don't have fresh salmonella test, negative of course...

I would love to bring here new Faverolles and different colours. We have salmon, black, mahogany and this silver. No blue or white or anything like that. Salmon is the most common colour. Not even sure do we have blue salmon here in Finland? Haven't heard.
My roos are salmon and silver (he is going his own home soon, can't keep two BIG boys in small coop and he is my young hens bro) and my pretty hens are salmon, silver and black, so I am missing only mahogany. Maybe I can get one or two mahogany hens someday.

He is my huge salmon roo, a little bit over one year old.

I have a replacement order coming from ideal. I think, to be honest, their stock/quality is quite pathetic. I received my order of 11 chicks. All supposed to be Pullets. I had to put one of my GlWs down immediately upon arrival for a severe case of crossbeak. I noticed it the second I opened the box. Any picker should have noticed. Two weeks later I found two more of my GLWs are Roos. I had two Salmon Favorelles in that order as well. They are doing alright, coloring is a but off, but they are pretty friendly.
One of my Fav chicks from Ideal has scissor beak as well
hmm.png

I think they're just one of those breeds (for me) that really needs to come from a breeder.
My Orloffs, EEs, and Australorps are all doing really well though.

I really don't want to do shipped eggs, and I have not been able to find anyone in driving distance from me. I have done some research and cackle and Meyer seem to be the best. I was hoping someone here had experience with them or other hatcheries to help me make the decision. I am located in South Louisiana if anyone happens to breed them in the area.

My and a few others Faverolles from Meyer are rather poorly... I have one pretty hen but both are not very healthy. Meyer contacted me after reading my complaint here and said they were working on improving their lines, and that was about two years ago now so I don't know what sort of genetics they are throwing now. It might be much better! I love my hatchery birds VERY much and would not trade them for the world, but I would hands down never buy hatchery faverolles again. I would go through the extra hassle of shipping eggs or driving to pick birds up if I got more Favs.

One of my Meyer Faverolles from three years ago. Very sweet but not quite Salmon, and some bad health/genetics (she was very sickly as a chick, has a crooked skull, etc)

(Not trying to talk you out of Meyer, again they may have genuinely improved their line! Just sharing my experience)

My salmon baby from Ideal has a bulging eye :/ if I had known this breed is prone to issues I would have chosen a different breed since I was ordering from a hatchery.

I got 8 hatchery Faverolles chicks this spring to keep a singleton hatchling of mine company. Early on they all looked similar. Now that they have matured there is a significant difference. The hatchery birds are half the size of mine and most are dark with some black flecking in their beards. They do have the typical Faverolles temperment though.

I ordered a Salmon pullet and cockerel from Meyers they are 3 weeks old the so far looking very nice and pullets chest feathers are coming in nice and white and they are very fluffy little chicks, I have their pictures on here of when they were a couple days old.

My and a few others Faverolles from Meyer are rather poorly... I have one pretty hen but both are not very healthy. Meyer contacted me after reading my complaint here and said they were working on improving their lines, and that was about two years ago now so I don't know what sort of genetics they are throwing now. It might be much better! I love my hatchery birds VERY much and would not trade them for the world, but I would hands down never buy hatchery faverolles again. I would go through the extra hassle of shipping eggs or driving to pick birds up if I got more Favs. One of my Meyer Faverolles from three years ago. Very sweet but not quite Salmon, and some bad health/genetics (she was very sickly as a chick, has a crooked skull, etc) (Not trying to talk you out of Meyer, again they may have genuinely improved their line! Just sharing my experience)
This looks like a mahogany faverolles

I really don't want to do shipped eggs, and I have not been able to find anyone in driving distance from me. I have done some research and cackle and Meyer seem to be the best. I was hoping someone here had experience with them or other hatcheries to help me make the decision. I am located in South Louisiana if anyone happens to breed them in the area.

There's a breeder in Florida and she is on this thread. Forgot the username, I'll look it up

Back
Top Bottom