Faverolles Thread

yeah that is my thought but her coloring isn't what was expected. But she is from a hatchery. I still love her. Imperfections and all
wink.png
Thanks for the update Dizzies eye does look much better :) She is turning the same color as my pullet from my pet chicken, my Meyers chick has also started getting darker, she started out with white chest feathers but now she is getting dark feathers in their so a little bummed but not worried since they are just pets, my feed store baby has curly toes that would not stay taped but her color is looking very nice, how I think of it is at least I will be able to tell them apart ;)

Hi,
We purchased these two Salmon Faverolles a couple of weeks ago. Were supposed to be a pair, but the younger one had developed very black feathers
sad.png
. Now we have to decide which one to keep. Since we are new to these guys, we would appreciate some input & help on that. I know they are young still, but we have the option to return one for a pullet replacement. Both are very sweet. The older one is extremely dark, & his neck & head are turning very dark. He's a handsome guy, but we don't know enough to know if his coloring is good or not.

The younger guy (there is a big age difference, too) is lighter in color. Has some light brown to his wings. His head & neck are darkening, too. We would really appreciate some input. Thank you!

Sorry, my first reply wasn't what you were looking for so I edited it. I think they are too young to make much more than a guess. You could pick the one with better feet and hope you make the right choice
hmm.png

Last edited:
Sorry, my first reply wasn't what you were looking for so I edited it. I think they are too young to make much more than a guess. You could pick the one with better feet and hope you make the right choice
hmm.png
I agree. They will change a lot between now and maturity so there's not a lot of advice to give you at the moment. Are you looking to show or just for eye candy? If just for eye candy then choose your favorite. If you are able to acquire pullets later then possibly grow out both and decide from there. If you intend to show then you should keep both and select your best in another 5 months or so.

I agree. They will change a lot between now and maturity so there's not a lot of advice to give you at the moment. Are you looking to show or just for eye candy? If just for eye candy then choose your favorite. If you are able to acquire pullets later then possibly grow out both and decide from there. If you intend to show then you should keep both and select your best in another 5 months or so.
Agree either way, Is there a time limit for trading for a pullet???? Think,….the better feet, comb, body angle, bulk….I know i harp about coloration getting farther away from normal, but think last consideration after structure. I have 2 Black cockerels, 3rd generation project birds….Keeping both for now….The pure black is beautiful, more upright, not quite Faverolles structure, the other has gold leakage over the shoulders but has beautiful Faverolles lines.
Then again, if You fall in love with ones personality and temperament…. :)

Anybody in South dakota/Nebraska/Iowa/Minnesota area breed LF Favs? I don't have an incubator yet, so I would need chicks or older.
I've been hunting for at some for over a year now. But I think I'm cursed,
barnie.gif
because I've emailed multiple breeders and every one has either just sold out of Favs or no longer breeds chickens at all. I even emailed a hatchery out of sheer desperation this week, and they also sold out of their Faverolles! LOL I'm starting to think it's just me. I have also emailed multiple people, including officers, on the Faverolles Fanciers club and haven't gotten a response.

So, does anyone on this thread live near me? Or know of anyone who ships chicks? I guess I'm not opposed to a hatchery, but I would like to show eventually, so I'd prefer to start with the best breeding stock I could get.

Thanks in advance for any help at all!!!

I know one farm local here that breeds them, I have called and they said that they will not have birds until spring, if you want I can give you their contact info, maybe they ship their eggs or birds.

Anybody in South dakota/Nebraska/Iowa/Minnesota area breed LF Favs? I don't have an incubator yet, so I would need chicks or older.
I've been hunting for at some for over a year now. But I think I'm cursed,
barnie.gif
because I've emailed multiple breeders and every one has either just sold out of Favs or no longer breeds chickens at all. I even emailed a hatchery out of sheer desperation this week, and they also sold out of their Faverolles! LOL I'm starting to think it's just me. I have also emailed multiple people, including officers, on the Faverolles Fanciers club and haven't gotten a response.

So, does anyone on this thread live near me? Or know of anyone who ships chicks? I guess I'm not opposed to a hatchery, but I would like to show eventually, so I'd prefer to start with the best breeding stock I could get.

Thanks in advance for any help at all!!!
There isn't much available this time of year, not even eggs. My birds are all molting. Spring/early summer is the best time to be looking. Unfortunately you are far from any of the big shows too which doesn't help. There is the national in Knoxville the first weekend in December if you are up for a road trip.

Back
Top Bottom