Faverolles Thread

Great looking Mahoganies, where are these from? It seems that several of the hatcheries forget what Salmons are supposed to look like and i think it will eventually eliminate the auto sexing feature since its hard to tell sometimes any more…..I still encourage sending pics to the hatcheries that they come from with thanks what a nice Fav. or gee this doesn't look like what they are supposed to look like….
Mahoganies are bright and colorful, there are black,blue,splash,,,, lavender,,,,buff,,,,white,,,,,Salmon / BlueSalmon, Ermine, and ???….Most of the colors are rare and can come in both LF and bantam.
I think the mahoganies are Buck Creek Chickens'.

There are (were?) cuckoo Faverolles. I don't think they exist in the US. Colors other than salmon are very difficult to find, some may be impossible.

I tried searching this thread as it seems like this might be a common question - Sorry if I missed it...

How long does it typically take for a Salmon Faverolles to reach "full size" ? Mine are about 9 months old now and still "large pullet size", but nowhere near the size of large birds I see that other folks have. I'm curious if their eggs are going to get larger as well.. Right now we are firmly in the "small" range, with the rare medium.

Hard to scale, but here's a laughable picture of Nina after she got her bath (a month ago while it was still nice and warm outside.)

At 9 months old they won't grow any larger, but fill out instead. Egg size will probably increase to medium over time.

I tried searching this thread as it seems like this might be a common question - Sorry if I missed it...

How long does it typically take for a Salmon Faverolles to reach "full size" ? Mine are about 9 months old now and still "large pullet size", but nowhere near the size of large birds I see that other folks have. I'm curious if their eggs are going to get larger as well.. Right now we are firmly in the "small" range, with the rare medium.

Hard to scale, but here's a laughable picture of Nina after she got her bath (a month ago while it was still nice and warm outside.)

They will generally have reached their finished height by then, but will fill out for as long as another year. The size, type, and coloring all depend on the breeding. hatchery breeds are generally smaller than exhibition fowl, although I hatched out some purebreds last year that were all on the small size. One is practically a bantam. All depends on the lines.

I. love. this. picture.

I love my girls, but as far as "standards" go, they're pretty off-the-mark. Next batch of birds I will be more selective of their heritage :)

Your girl looks like she will be pretty when dry. Almost Mahogany…...There are a handful of Salmon Faverolles owners in Western Washington so am sure You can easily add in the future…Do You visit the BYC Washington thread?

I did try the WA thread before we were ready to start our flock, but the timing of getting the birds from the folks I was in contact with didn't work out. Instead I got them at Baxter Barn which I believe gets them from Murray (?)

I think the mahoganies are Buck Creek Chickens'.

There are (were?) cuckoo Faverolles. I don't think they exist in the US. Colors other than salmon are very difficult to find, some may be impossible.
Thanks for the information….I communicated with Buck Creek when i first looked for Mahoganies, never connected…Chickonthehill was wonderful and helped me with eggs and lots of pictures of her own. The best ones i have came from her.

I forgot about Cuckoo…..There was someone selling bantam eggs this summer on ebay that had a variety of standard colors….Not sure if they were project or ???

Back
Top Bottom