Faverolles Thread

Thanks Skyline farms……I never thought to click on the video…..Looks like they have an assortment of colors too….I wonder how all the darkness in the females started to come about….I haven't been around as long as most but i just remember them being lighter, without smudges and spots and such….Even the males seem to be getting lighter, smudgy in the shoulders rather than that lovely even cherry redish brown color….Looks like the *Salmon Faverolles* is evolving colorwise into something quite different.

I did order a few Salmons from Sandhill when i was trying to get Mahoganies…..it did take 2 years since weather (great highs and lows of temps) greatly affects their production but at that time, the Salmons received were more color correct.

I watched a few other videos after……there still is some nice colored, conformed birds out there…..I have a few nice ones, but a long way to go for consistency….

Perhaps Cackle has improved their flock since the video was taken. I went out to photograph my girls this evening and their color doesn't seem nearly as dark as the hens in the video. A few of mine have a lot of black in their beards while a few have little to no black in their beards.

I have a Coastline Poultry cockerel that I am going to put over them as an experiment this spring. I am hoping that he will be able to improve them, if even a bit.

I have beautiful birds that I hatched from eggs that I bought from Sahwithchicks and Piperomar. They are a little under-sized but out of the five girls that I hatched, only one was dark and none had black in their beards. The one boy that I have (who is old enough to tell the color of) has absolutely no rust coloring in his cape. I am getting a pair of Patterson line favs from a fellow local poiultry club member which are HUGE birds- as big as SQ standard brahmas. He saw the pair that I had and told me that, yes they are a little small, but I should keep them to breed with the pair I'm, getting from him because its really hard to get boys without the rust in their necks.

So, my point is, try Sahwithchicks (Nicole) or Piperomar before cackle- unless you already have their birds.

The one boy that I have (who is old enough to tell the color of) has absolutely no rust coloring in his cape. I am getting a pair of Patterson line favs from a fellow local poiultry club member which are HUGE birds- as big as SQ standard brahmas. He saw the pair that I had and told me that, yes they are a little small, but I should keep them to breed with the pair I'm, getting from him because its really hard to get boys without the rust in their necks.
By cape, do you mean hackles or wingbow? As far as burn patches go they are acceptable. My darker males tend to have them.

I have beautiful birds that I hatched from eggs that I bought from Sahwithchicks and Piperomar. They are a little under-sized but out of the five girls that I hatched, only one was dark and none had black in their beards. The one boy that I have (who is old enough to tell the color of) has absolutely no rust coloring in his cape. I am getting a pair of Patterson line favs from a fellow local poiultry club member which are HUGE birds- as big as SQ standard brahmas. He saw the pair that I had and told me that, yes they are a little small, but I should keep them to breed with the pair I'm, getting from him because its really hard to get boys without the rust in their necks.

So, my point is, try Sahwithchicks (Nicole) or Piperomar before cackle- unless you already have their birds.
I saw your favs at the smithfield show. and yes they were medium sized. if they are not 1 year old they are still growing. mine are from piperomar and they are bigger. they need a lot of protein i fed them flock raiser for most of their life

Back
Top Bottom