Faverolles Thread

Thanks
1f601.png
I think they're so adorable, I already have chickens so going through the hatcheries and getting another 25 isn't possible for me. I checked my local feed stores and tsc, but nobody got them. If I manage to get any they will live with my EE girls
1f601.png

Thanks
1f601.png
I think they're so adorable, I already have chickens so going through the hatcheries and getting another 25 isn't possible for me. I checked my local feed stores and tsc, but nobody got them. If I manage to get any they will live with my EE girls
1f601.png
even though its late in the season, you might wish to ask if the feed stores can add to any future orders they still have coming...

Quote: Lighter the better? Am guessing, are You referring to adult coloration? Hens in general, one hopes for a fairly even coloration from head to tail, some are lighter some are darker, with whitish breast/beard & muffs….dark ticking in the breast and beard is not a part of the SOP but seems to becoming more prevalent. In Roosters, i used to see the colors deeper and more defined but that too is varied.

Thanks for the offer RangeChicks, but I think we are on opposite sides of the country lol! I'm not comfortable with shipping adult birds... especially that kind of distance.

As for my chicks, they are doing well. Almost feathered out... they just have some fuzzy yellow fluff on their heads. The dark one has had more dark feathers to come in, but it's comb is still small and pale (they're one month old today). I had to separate one of my Silkie hens because she was being extra bratty to them! I think she's trying to go broody again. Gossie still tends to take up for them, but they continue to kinda keep to themselves. I have a few more recent pics, but they aren't very good. They were dust bathing and it was shady. ^^;

The dark one is to the far right in these pics. There is one lighter one, two medium ones, one medium with a bit of ticking, and the dark one.

A clear shot of one of the more medium colored ones... I think this is the one with breast ticking.

This is the lightest one. They're all quite friendly, but this one is particularly. She will come up and rub across my hand/finger and tries to follow me everywhere! <3

"Hello there! What's that you've got? Is it tasty?"

Anyway, got some of my other birds up for sale on Craigslist to go towards materials for a new coop just for them! Who knows though... they might end up evicting my Silkies and staying in the big coop instead lol!

*Edit* Oh... and pardon the messy run... I haven't had a chance to clean it out recently. O.O;

Thank you
1f60a.png
I did ask the feed store I got my EEs from if he could order me a specific breed, if I had known about the store earlier it would've been possible, but at the time it would've had to have been 25, since he had ordered chicks already. I guess I'll have to wait until next year, unless I can find someone close that raises them. Since I already have 50 chickens its not possible for me to take on 25 more, but I'd love to have a few of these adorable birds, to me it doesn't matter if they're bantam or standard size, and color doesn't have to be perfect since I'm interested in having them as pets only
1f601.png
I'll check some stock sales and see if I could find a pair of adults if I cant find chicks and raise some chicks from them. I like getting young chicks so I can raise them and interact with them so they will be used to me. I've had good luck with my chicks bonding with me both bantam and standard size, except for my EEs, they hate being touched
1f61e.png

So I'm not sure how much time has gone by, but my SF juveniles are now about 6 weeks old. If you have any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Pullet #12: Amelie

Cockerel #4 : Lucien
Lucien is from McMurray. His black seems darker than the cockerel below, Laurent, who is from shipped (show-quality advertised eggs). He is a spitfire. He always gets away when I'm taking pictures. He is too big for the baby pen, so he went into the new coop, which has a breeding pair of SLWs and various tweens (and two Holland Lop bun-buns.)

Growing like weeds. Lucien had no beard this time last week.

Cockerel # 14: Laurent

His beard is just starting to come in.

Some questions:
1) Will the chestnut (wheaten?) ticking go away in the next molt? It seems like all the cockerels have mixed colors in this first set of feathers.
2) The head and neck feathers almost look like a colombian pattern? They will be covered by wheaten, right? Does the black grow in first and then the rooster wheaten neck feathers later?
3) Is there a good weight for juvies to know if they are on track to be SoP?

Thanks so much everyone!

So I'm not sure how much time has gone by, but my SF juveniles are now about 6 weeks old. If you have any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Pullet #12: Amelie

Cockerel #4 : Lucien
Lucien is from McMurray. His black seems darker than the cockerel below, Laurent, who is from shipped (show-quality advertised eggs). He is a spitfire. He always gets away when I'm taking pictures. He is too big for the baby pen, so he went into the new coop, which has a breeding pair of SLWs and various tweens (and two Holland Lop bun-buns.)

Growing like weeds. Lucien had no beard this time last week.

Cockerel # 14: Laurent

His beard is just starting to come in.

Some questions:
1) Will the chestnut (wheaten?) ticking go away in the next molt? It seems like all the cockerels have mixed colors in this first set of feathers.
2) The head and neck feathers almost look like a colombian pattern? They will be covered by wheaten, right? Does the black grow in first and then the rooster wheaten neck feathers later?
3) Is there a good weight for juvies to know if they are on track to be SoP?

Thanks so much everyone!
Cockerels are often messy color-wise at this age. It will be 6-12 months before you have an idea what they will look like as adults. I don't bother to weigh mine. I just go by how they feel when I pick them up when they are older.

At what age can you start sexing the SF?

When I hatched out my first chicks last year I was told 2 weeks. However I had a really hard time telling until they were a little older.

Now that I have more experience, I was able to sex this year's chicks at 12 days. So it is possible at 2 weeks but your mileage may vary depending on experience.

I look for color as females first feather with a slight grey and then a pinkish color. Their wing feathers are quite "lacy" looking to my eye. Males seem to feather more slowly and will have darker colors.

Male leg feathers will have some black and females won't. Shoulder feathers will be quite dark/black in males.

Back
Top Bottom