Faverolles Thread

What is wrong with a split wing. I think they look cool like that.

When you have birds that carry a split-wing gene, you can never breed and sell the chicks, if that is a goal. Even if a bird does not show it, it carries the gene from the parent. Someone who then breeds that bird can ruin their entire line, because, as keesmom said, it can be very hard to breed out.

In Europe, vulture hocks are permitted on several breeds - a disqualification here. Some people think that it was because that gene had so infected the gene pool that no one could breed birds without them, they just gave up and made it acceptable. (Of course, that is opinion only.)

Thanks Kee@keesmom for the link..
frow.gif
I am not a resident of NC, and neither are you. Yet we all should be concerned with the thought of a state's mandatory registration of a flock no matter the size (even of the flock is just one bird). That vein of thinking could potentially spread to other states

Does anyone know of any breeders in the south west US?

I'm in Southern California but there doesn't seem to be any breeders down here. So I'm hoping there is someone close by willing to ship.

I already asked them and they no longer breed them. They were the closest ones I could find so now I'm looking farther out.

Been MIA for a little while, but my pullets have been a'growing! Though I do love them, they are a far cry from 'the best of the best exhibition quality' that the hatchery claimed their stock to be.
tongue.gif
Oh well... vivre et apprendre I guess! Here are some recent pics:

This one is Chouette. She's apparently beardless/muffless. >8| She'll be going to live with a friend in her mixed flock.

Fauve has a sooty beard!

Lacie is lighter than the rest, but again has soot in her beard. She's also slightly smaller than the others.

Look how muddy Marron looks now!

And Suie, whom has always been such a smutty girl! I do like her though.

My only two chicks from my Coastline hatching eggs are looking pretty good so far. No sooties that I can see yet!

PLUS, today, my darling Hubs took me down to SC to get some chicks, and I came back with 7 2-3 week olds, and 4 pullets around 3 months! They aren't great quality... in fact the pullets are pretty crummy, but I'm going to try them out. I think my plan is going to be to put my best birds with the Faverolles cockerel, and my pet quality birds with an Ameraucana cock and breed Favaucanas from them. And if they're really bad, they can just be layers or crockpot fillers. I'm very excite regardless!

Also, I have already signed the petition you posted keesmom, but thanks for getting the word out! This ridiculous 'mandate' here in NC has gotta go! UGHH!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom