Faverolles Thread

I have feets photos - boy that was harder than it looked
wink.png

Fused toes - both feet but the right side (in photo) are completely fused together. Assuming this is a disqualifying attribute?

V shaped - both toes are the same size. It's blurry but you can see the left side toes are the same length

Black feathers on legs but I think the toes are ok?? His? middle toe on left side ( in photo) is not crooked - just the way he was place for photo and his squirmy little self
roll.png

Is the 4th toe too short? And more black feathering
smile.png

I have a question about feet. The SOP I have is from 1989 and the illustration of a foot for 5 toed breeds shows the fith toe going straight back and up - however on the illustration for the faverolle breed - it shows the toe going straight back horizontally. Which am I looking for? I have 11 chicks and some 5th toes go back and up and some go horizontally back ( and some do neither so I know they are not correct).

And since I am here
tongue.png
some of the chicks were spotted/sooty (and the eggs were from a breeder) so I know pullets may feather in darker than desired - does this also include foot/leg feathers or will only cockerels get black foot/leg feathering? At 12 days old I am seeing black foot/leg feathering on some whose wings are not screaming boy.
Thanks for your help everyone!
HI There, re my group from the same breeder,,,,,, I finally ended up with 3 girls ( 2 small and 1 lg ) and 4 boys…..( 4 lg and some lite, some dark)….They were all healthy and bright, this group did not exhibit spotting/sooty though some of her birds are from another breeder where it has appeared…I am a fan of the origional cream chicks, but i have to admit some of the sooty ones are
* really* nice as they grow out. I have had a variety of toe coonfigurations too. Occasionally i wonder if some could nutritionally related as a few of the better ones change as time goes on…different from the webbed 4-5 toe or fused or many of the other not quite right ones.

Its been awile but my start came from Idea and Cackle….Cackle was the best at *that* time and currently mention that they show their birds. Urch /Trumbel (spelling) has a good reputation, Skyline Poultry has some nice pics on their website and i believe some of their breeding came from Coastline. Reighning Feathers Exhibition Poultry may be another option.
I can find lots of folks you can ask if you wish to try eggs, but chicks to adults is a bit harder. Most of my foundation is Cloverleaf…I love deep colored males and airly fairy ( sorry) light pastely girls….It seems the latest trend is for a darker even colored salmon coloration. I have some girls with solid colored feathering and some with laced…..Not sure which way is more true to breed.

For some reason i was unable to edit to add to the toe conversation….The exact wording in the SOP is:

Toes - five on each foot, the fifth toe distinct from others and curved upward, outer toes, slightly feathered.

Have noted on various conversations that it is perfered that between the 4th and 5th toe that there is no joining, branching or webbing. The picture in the front of the SOP 2001 ed. pg.16, regarding the various poultry traits show the 5th toe arcing upward in the back.

The picture can confuse…some birds as they get older the 5th toe will drop or lay to the side somewhat...

The Faverolles pages ( 2001 ed) are 154 & 155.

Maybe some of the more experienced breeders here can give some better input…...

Last edited:
HI There, re my group from the same breeder,,,,,, I finally ended up with 3 girls ( 2 small and 1 lg ) and 4 boys…..( 4 lg and some lite, some dark)….They were all healthy and bright, this group did not exhibit spotting/sooty though some of her birds are from another breeder where it has appeared…I am a fan of the origional cream chicks, but i have to admit some of the sooty ones are
* really* nice as they grow out. I have had a variety of toe coonfigurations too. Occasionally i wonder if some could nutritionally related as a few of the better ones change as time goes on…different from the webbed 4-5 toe or fused or many of the other not quite right ones.

I have several males or suspected males - 3 for sure. No smalls in this group - they are ginormous little buggers
lol.png
11 of 11 shipped eggs hatched - so yes they are certainly healthy and vigorous
th.gif

I have feets photos - boy that was harder than it looked ;) Fused toes - both feet but the right side (in photo) are completely fused together. Assuming this is a disqualifying attribute? V shaped - both toes are the same size. It's blurry but you can see the left side toes are the same length Black feathers on legs but I think the toes are ok?? His? middle toe on left side ( in photo) is not crooked - just the way he was place for photo and his squirmy little self :rolleyes: Is the 4th toe too short? And more black feathering :)
My salmon faverolles won her breed and the continental class at a show yesterday. Her toes on one foot are fused. They are clearly two toes, just tight together.

Back
Top Bottom