Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Are you able to keep a REALLY close eye on things? I mean, checking every few minutes for the first day or two? Sometimes, not always, older chicks will pick at a baby placed among them. If they don't, if they are good to him or at least ignore him, he will probably be able to snuggle with the older chicks to get the extra heat he needs.

Kathleen

Henry,

The white wing tips are whites! Woot! I am glad that the hatch is progressing the way you want.

Well all this has led to some good things ... my pens have never been so pristine! I would eat off the floor in there now!
big_smile.png
(sorry if that was gross).

Quote:
Are you able to keep a REALLY close eye on things? I mean, checking every few minutes for the first day or two? Sometimes, not always, older chicks will pick at a baby placed among them. If they don't, if they are good to him or at least ignore him, he will probably be able to snuggle with the older chicks to get the extra heat he needs.

Kathleen

Thanks for the response. They're learning to fly and jumping on each other alot. They're doing what looks like curious pecking.. I've not seen any aggressive behavior. I'll be home for the weekend but won't be able to watch 100%. I think I'll keep him seperate for a while. Maybe I'll just have to have a house roo for a while. How long should I keep him seperated? until he feathers out?

Quote:
Thank you for letting us know your side of the story. Your one of the sellers I most trust on BYC and I have no doubt that your birds are very well taken care of and some of the nicest stock around. These favs all have huge beards and very good toe placment even a day after hatch. Keep selling eggs! I think I got two white chicks also! They have little white wing stubs hope that means white chicks. I am glad you could tell your side of the story and I am sorry it caused you so much stress. I can relate because we got the same flooding rain but in the form of 4ft of snow! My runs where very close to calapsing after and most of the birds have been locked up since. Now that its melting and we had rain for thr last few days my yard is a swamp! Now I am worried the same thing will happen with my eggs. Glad your birds have dried out an just know that I apreciate your work and I hope we all do. I believe melissa's birds and all of her animals are some of the most responsibly and carefully taken care of animals on BYC. I would relish the oppertunity to one day visit her famlies beautiful farm and meet the person that is responsible for such amazing birds.

I've been to her place .. BEFORE she cleaned up .. LOL. She has a nice place .. and nice birds .. and nice horses .. and nice cows .. and at least ONE nice son!

I also just got two hens in the mail from JL leighton in RI. I knew they would be nice but these hens are AMAZING I will try and get some pictures tonight. They are a bit large for bantams but have great Faverolles type, color, combs, toes, and personality. They are just amazing little hens!

Melissa, I contacted you privately because I DO think you are an upstanding respectable breeder who really does take excellent care of her animals. I did order eggs from you last year and have beautiful chickens from them. After receiving these eggs 3 weeks ago, I have to apologise for becoming leary of the eggs and I had listened to a friend that suggested I dump the whole batch. Only one egg was pure stinky, the other just oozed with no smell. Yes, I checked the ones that I put in the bator, but I could have missed a slightly cracked egg. Just one I got with a bad smell.

I would not hesitate from buying from you again. Considering 12 eggs were in an incubator turned off overnight, and then tossed in the garbage the next morning, and 9 were put back in the incubator that night, and 8 are in lockdown right now. All I can say is wow. Those 8 eggs have really been thru alot and they are making it to lockdown. That says alot.

Thanks for finding out that I'm not a nut, LOL. I would recommend you to anyone. This weekend I'll take pics of the chicks.
Karen

So now we know that ___________ is... Karen!
big_smile.png

I didn't want to just use your name without asking so I blanked you out. I am glad that you had the faith to go through with the hatch. I am still so sorry for the contaminated eggs. I would have flipped a lid if I had oozing and stinking... even one egg. I really hope that each and every egg that goes into lockdown comes out a beautiful fluffy Fav!

Thanks again Karen for being a sweetie through this whole thing and for being a support... and you too Henry... I am not quite sure how to say that if I had to screw up someones eggs I'm glad they were yours.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom