Faverolles Thread

Quote:
post a pic might help us out a little better. sometimes one person would catch things the rest of us wouldn't through just a description.

This is the best I could get in the rain
tongue.png
Poor little thing is cold & wet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_memorialday_023.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_memorialday_024.jpg

looks like a pullet to me! she just won't have much of the lacing that breeder quality birds have. it doesn't affect their cuteness, egg laying ability or personalities! if you're not looking for show quality i wouldn't worry over her color. and if your new to the breed/chickens its a good way to test out the breed for temperament with your family-chickens or humans!
tongue.png

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
This is the best I could get in the rain
tongue.png
Poor little thing is cold & wet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_memorialday_023.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_memorialday_024.jpg

looks like a pullet to me! she just won't have much of the lacing that breeder quality birds have. it doesn't affect their cuteness, egg laying ability or personalities! if you're not looking for show quality i wouldn't worry over her color. and if your new to the breed/chickens its a good way to test out the breed for temperament with your family-chickens or humans!
tongue.png

Oh I hope it's a girl! They are all going to room with my splash wheaten ameraucana. I want some blue-ish super bearded EEs. The dark belly just threw me off. They start out so similar to the wheaten ameraucanas, and dark feathers always mean roo.

Quote:
tongue.png

Oh I hope it's a girl! They are all going to room with my splash wheaten ameraucana. I want some blue-ish super bearded EEs. The dark belly just threw me off. They start out so similar to the wheaten ameraucanas, and dark feathers always mean roo.

That is usually the case but with hatchery stock females you often get very very dark color those girls look to be closer to mahogany then salmon faverolles.

Quote:
I wish I had that! I am sure my life will be much more "full"
lol.png
when I am and adult as I think I want to go into farming.

Well, we are not the best farmers, but we do enjoy the animals...most of the time
wink.png
If you are seriously considering farming as a profession I would recommend you read Joel Salatin's book You Can Farm and perhaps his book Pastured Poultry Profit$. I read the first and found it quite interesting. It seems honest and realistic about what it takes to farm. They also mentor folks who want to be farmers. You can probably get his books at the library like I did. Anyway, my favs are 2 weeks old and none have dark feathering like the cockrels in the pictures of 2 week olds on feathersite. I guess I'd better take pics. They all look like pullets to me. That would be great of course, but I just don't see how I could have that kind of luck. Also, some are getting tail feathers and others not. Does that show any gender difference? I'll try to take pictures today.

Quote:
The ones with tail feathers may be pullets the cockerels I have had are slower to feather in. The two week thing all depends on lines the LF I have had you cannot sex at 2 weeks. I have both those books and I love them I have interned on several large organic farms and even considered working for the Salatin's but I found a farm that I felt better fit my interests in Essex NY. I am sure I would already be farming if I didn't live in the suburbs. I am going to University of VT to study animals science with a concentration in Dairy.

Henry

My eggs from Dick went into lockdown last night, ok, it was actually very early this morning, but ALL of them are still developing! And I saw good movement in several of them!! There are a dozen in the bator, 5 from F1 and 7 from F2 (seperated with some hardware cloth in the bator so I know who's who - I hope they don't knock it down) and 2 of the F2 eggs under my broody cochin who is flatly refusing to leave her nest box now!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom