Faverolles Thread

Quote:
That's what had me doubting it too. But as of night before last, she was sleeping in the nest box. This morning I pulled her out, she ate a scrambled egg, some of her layer crumbles, took a sip of water and rushed back to the nest box. Do they work their way up to being broody? It seemed at first she was just spending more time than usual in there, now she doesn't want to leave at all.

BTW- I am not trying to hijack the faverolles thread with a discussion about broody hens! My original intention was just to find out if they go broody earlier than other breeds! But any advice is certainly appreciated!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what had me doubting it too. But as of night before last, she was sleeping in the nest box. This morning I pulled her out, she ate a scrambled egg, some of her layer crumbles, took a sip of water and rushed back to the nest box. Do they work their way up to being broody? It seemed at first she was just spending more time than usual in there, now she doesn't want to leave at all.

You should seperate her if she is broody or if she is being bullied. She needs to get herself together and gain weight either way. To the other hens pick on her a lot? I have had birds hide in nest boxes a lot to.

Henry

Henry,

They do pick on her when it comes to food/dustbathing spots. It REALLY stresses her out being away from the group though. I always make sure she is able to eat....and they get very high quality feed and treats. I can't believe she got skinny so quickly. My birds all get a weekly inspection. I pick them up, feel their weight, check vents, etc..
She has always been my heaviest girl.

Starting tonight, I'm going to separate her in a large coated wire dog kennel within the coop. I really don't want to remove her from the flock altogether because it will upset her so much, and also because I fear they will bully her even more if she spends a few days away from them.

I started giving her nutri drench yesterday. Heard the b vitamins were good for appetite stimulation.

I can't detect any signs of illness, so I think this must be related to going broody or getting bullied.
Can you post video's here? I might try and take a video of her in the nest box. The noise she makes is very distinct.

Thanks!

Quote:
That's what I did with my little millie that went broody last week. I put her in a dog crate in the coop with the others. She couldn't go outside, but after a couple of days in there, she was back to normal. I put nutri-drench in her water, too, because she got so skinny so fast. I've gotten some weird noises from my other birds when they are broody, or when I just want to check under some that are in there to lay.

My favs are so gentle that they seem to be on the bottom of the pecking order. No one picks on them bad, but they are the recipients of quite a few pecks. I wish I was able to separate them into their own space, but I only have room for the one coop, so I guess they'll just have to learn to keep out of the others' way. I'm getting a pair the first weekend in October - should I expect this behavior with them as well? Is this breed just naturally subservient? I noticed the Wyandottes are the least likely to take any crap, and are very quick to assert their position to the others. I didn't realize some breeds - other than games - are more assertive in the order than others. I've only once had a new one come in and snatch a higher place from an established bird. Most of the time the new ones take their place at the bottom and move up as the older ones pass away. Any opinions?

You know, its funny....I had read that faverolles often end up at the bottom of the pecking order because they are so docile. I think it comes down to the individual though. I have 2 salmon faverolles:Bernice and Weezah, among my small flock of 5 hens. Bernice is definitely at the top. She isn't overly aggressive, but she always keeps everyone in line. Poor Weezah is at the bottom. I think a lot of it depends on their personalities.

I have one Faverolles pullet (about 7 months old) in with my laying flock which consists of Brahmas, Cochins, Marans and EEs. She moves out of the way for the Brahma and the Cochins (they are all about 1 1/2 years old) but doles out her fair share of pecks to the heads of any of the other birds that get in her way. She is a sweetie with me but I certainly wouldn't name her as the most docile of my hens. Another Fav hen that I sold earlier in the year was second only to my Dark Brahma hen in the pecking order - including me as far as she was concerned!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom