Faverolles Thread

I am really sorry Henry. I HATE that! I just saw a hawk in my yard yesterday......nervous!
fl.gif

Thanks guys yeah I am not home so I can't really do anything about it. Hopefully my Mom fixes the problem. I don't get it my dogs haven't touched a chickens for 3 years and all of the sudden they kill one. Who knows whats going one with them.

Henry

Who knows. One of our neighbors has 2 dogs. For a couple of years they'd come down to visit and the worst thing they'd do was eat chicken poop (YUUUUUKKKKKK!!!). Then one day they killed and ate one. I'm not sure what triggered that incident, but they've shown no interest since. Not that their owners gave them a second now, they're more careful about where the dogs go.

Sorry to hear about the demise of you rooster Henry.
sad.png
Its hard to have dogs and chickens sometimes. I love my dogs (2 Jack Russells and a Schnoodle) but they positively lust after my chickens and I have no doubts that they would kill one given the slightest opportunity. At least that makes it easier for me as I know to be on my guard.

Generally speaking you can count on dogs to make "doggy" decisions in a human world every time. I say don't trust any dog unless it has shown clear signs of maternal or herd guardian type behaviour ... I know my Doberman looks at my birds as walking squeaky toys, and despite having him under verbal control so good he will hold an off-leash down stay with chickens all around him, I would never assume he would be a "good dog" when I was not around. People often seem to forget that dogs are both animals and natural predators, and no amount of training will ever make them anything else. Sometimes it is hard to remember that they naturally have no concept of "wrong" or right", and even though it is amazing how well they can be "trained", they still see things as "bad" or "good"; getting yelled at for chasing chickens might be "bad".... but does it outweigh the "good" of how much fun it is to chase and kill chickens? This is something that speaks to them on a level so primal we cannot possibly compare any human experience to it, and EVERY dog has this desire in his very DNA, it is buried deep in many dogs and some go their whole lives without having it awakened, and as any farmer with a working stock dog knows, you just can't trust them around the sheep alone... and if they do get loose, get overstimulated and bloody some sheep the only "cure" is the wrong end of a gun. Dogs are pack animals, and without a human with them they are temporally in charge of a "pack" of one. I say better safe than sorry, and never assume Fido will make a good choice without you being there... 'cause he probably won't!
Sandi
(Pro dog trainer since 1986)
old.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I know some of this I never trusted my dogs with chickens that why they were in their run. I think I acted as a "barrier" between the dogs and the chickens and now that I have left for college that "barrier" is gone. I was always home making sure that they didn't pay to much attention to the run. My mom but some food scraps in the run and the dogs broke in and they also eat the chicken poop. So they must have just discovered chickens were fun to play with when the rooster ran away. It was two dogs and they are Basset hounds so they do have strong prey drive. They chase rabbits and squirrels. Don't worry I am not blaming my dogs and they won't be punished at all because they were just doing what they had in instinct to do. I just don't trust my parents will take the necessary steps to protect the rest of the chickens from the dogs.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom