Faverolles Thread

Quote:
My bantam boy is about three-fourths the size of his LF girl, but he's kinda big for a bantam. I think they are usually about 1/2 the size, but I'm not sure. According to Henderson's Breed Chart they are supposed to be "2.2" pounds, but that doesn't give much of a visual towards size.

I also have two questions.

1) Is cross beak genetic to the bird or is it something that just shows up when breeding faverolles and needs to be culled for? And does it need to be treated or can a bird live a normal life with it? I hatched a couple of Silkie Faverolles and they all have normal beaks, but one of my Faverolles hatched yesterday and it has cross beak. Does it's parent carry the gene for it and will continue producing cross-beak chicks or is it something that only pops up every once in a while? I've heard that it occurs alot in the Faverolle gene pool, so I will probably try to breed away from it as much as possible.

2) Lacing on the wing bow, is it hard to breed for? One of my boys has pretty good lacing on his wing and I am wondering if this is something I should choose for, maybe even over some other qualities in his chicks. I like how it looks and would like to see his offspring have it, but should I sacrifice other qualities like perfect toes or a good comb for lacing? And how do the females affect the lacing on the wings of males in breeding?

Thank you

Quote:
My bantam boy is about three-fourths the size of his LF girl, but he's kinda big for a bantam. I think they are usually about 1/2 the size, but I'm not sure. According to Henderson's Breed Chart they are supposed to be "2.2" pounds, but that doesn't give much of a visual towards size.

I also have two questions.

1) Is cross beak genetic to the bird or is it something that just shows up when breeding faverolles and needs to be culled for? And does it need to be treated or can a bird live a normal life with it? I hatched a couple of Silkie Faverolles and they all have normal beaks, but one of my Faverolles hatched yesterday and it has cross beak. Does it's parent carry the gene for it and will continue producing cross-beak chicks or is it something that only pops up every once in a while? I've heard that it occurs alot in the Faverolle gene pool, so I will probably try to breed away from it as much as possible.

2) Lacing on the wing bow, is it hard to breed for? One of my boys has pretty good lacing on his wing and I am wondering if this is something I should choose for, maybe even over some other qualities in his chicks. I like how it looks and would like to see his offspring have it, but should I sacrifice other qualities like perfect toes or a good comb for lacing? And how do the females affect the lacing on the wings of males in breeding?

Thank you

ok thanks.

and if i rember right, cross beak can be genetic

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your lost. Ive had problems myself. Just lost 12 large salmon Faverolles hens on my road coop. Couldn't understand how the predator was getting in. It killed all my hens before I realized how it was getting in. Got the raccoon yesterday.I believe there was two of them by the devastation they caused. They had to get in from under the roof in the back.I had never blocked the holes under my roof in this section, all the others were blocked. I will be blocking them today. This has brought a devastation to my breeding program. I believe I have 7 or 8 hens left. Thank god I didn't have them all in the same pen.
Dick

Thats terrible Dick do you at least have some pullets you hatched this spring left? I am really sorry to hear about this! I do think that I can bring my birds up to VT have to make some final planning but hopefully they will be up here after Christmas break.

Henry

Henry,
we need to talk about these birds that are still at my house. When you get a chance, email me on my regular email address. I have a plan, if you are willing to do this.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanx for the imput, i was leaning towards the first cockeral as well due to coloring (and he has a decent comb, 6 points, its not very even but its all i have to work with), hes a little slower to develop than the other boy but has a ways to go. they are only 5 months. I have one nicer pullet i forgot to get a photo of who im keeping, as well as the one on the right in that photo, and i have 3 younger ones im growing out from which 2 looks to have promise. I will be growing out a bunch of babies from them next year in hopes of seeing some improvement and replacing some birds with nicer.

Hi All
I am new to the Blue Salmon Faverolle color and dont think I have ever seen the Splash Salmon pattern from this color. Can someone please post a picture of their Splash Salmon Faverolles.

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats terrible Dick do you at least have some pullets you hatched this spring left? I am really sorry to hear about this! I do think that I can bring my birds up to VT have to make some final planning but hopefully they will be up here after Christmas break.

Henry

Henry,
we need to talk about these birds that are still at my house. When you get a chance, email me on my regular email address. I have a plan, if you are willing to do this.

Ok sent you an email! I am not in ideal situation right now so please give me some ideas.

Quote:
If you go back in the thread, post #4209 on page #421 shows the cockerel coloring, and post #4516 on page #452 shows the pullet coloring.
thumbsup.gif

Thank You !
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom