Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Dick or some of you who know more about genetics than me (which would probably be almost any one of you!
tongue.png
), when one is working towards creating a new color, why is the rooster always the "new" color and the hen the Salmon Fav? Will it work in reverse or is there a particular reason for using the rooster to introduce the color?

The female carries type more than the male, so when making a new color the hen should be a Faverolles. Not saying you can't do it the other way but it may take longer, but then again you could get lucky.
Dick

thanks Dick!

Quote:
Dick or some of you who know more about genetics than me (which would probably be almost any one of you!
tongue.png
), when one is working towards creating a new color, why is the rooster always the "new" color and the hen the Salmon Fav? Will it work in reverse or is there a particular reason for using the rooster to introduce the color?

The female carries type more than the male, so when making a new color the hen should be a Faverolles. Not saying you can't do it the other way but it may take longer, but then again you could get lucky.
Dick

bow.gif

Someday when I have more room I may help recreate those LF Buff Favs.... but I'm getting near max bird capaticity where I'm at
sad.png
I need to move!

By the way, sorry to hear about your guys' losses. I hope you can get something worked out Henry.

Quote:
tongue.png

Dick

Thanks for the reply Dick. It will be a while before I am ready to tackle a color project but I hope to need this info someday.
big_smile.png

My AR State Fair Results.
Cock - 1st of 2
Hen - 1st (only one)
Cockerel - 1st of 2
Pullets - 1st, 2nd, & 3rd of 5 and a RV/RB and BV/BB

Yipee!!

Now if only my orps had done as well up against Terry Britts. Hahaha

It's been awhile since I've been back on here. I was sorry to here Henry, that you lost all your birds. You're treating your dogs better than I would have.

Here is a pic of a bantam white fav cockerel. He is the only one I hatched that shows any promise at all. I will put him back on the best hen I have and go from there.

44197_white_fav_cockerel.jpg

I am putting together my large fowl breeding pens and hopefully I'll get my first large faverolles on the ground mid December. I was hoping for earlier, but I don't see it happening.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

It's been awhile since I've been back on here. I was sorry to here Henry, that you lost all your birds. You're treating your dogs better than I would have.

Here is a pic of a bantam white fav cockerel. He is the only one I hatched that shows any promise at all. I will put him back on the best hen I have and go from there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44197_white_fav_cockerel.jpg

I am putting together my large fowl breeding pens and hopefully I'll get my first large faverolles on the ground mid December. I was hoping for earlier, but I don't see it happening.

David

Glad to here your faverolles projects are continuing David! Yes it was a teribble loss but I wasn't home to deal with the dogs myself as I am at college. I bought a little flock of blacks and a blue pullet from Leisha so they should be coming up here soon hopefully.

That white cockerel is very nice hope he produces some nice chicks.
Henry​

Quote:
Glad to here your faverolles projects are continuing David! Yes it was a teribble loss but I wasn't home to deal with the dogs myself as I am at college. I bought a little flock of blacks and a blue pullet from Leisha so they should be coming up here soon hopefully.

Henry

Good to know that you're getting some more faverolles before long. Yes I am still raising Favs. I am just down to Large and Bantam whites and three large crosses I did: Blue Andalusian x White Faverolles. The three are still really young, but it's something to work with.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:

Henry

Good to know that you're getting some more faverolles before long. Yes I am still raising Favs. I am just down to Large and Bantam whites and three large crosses I did: Blue Andalusian x White Faverolles. The three are still really young, but it's something to work with.

David​

That should be interesting are they blue? I guess you will still have to work with white earlobes and white egg color in the crosses but that was a problem with the favs originally. Will also have to do a ton of work on type since Mediterraneans are so different for the Faverolles.

Back
Top Bottom