Faverolles Thread

I do remember reading that Faverolles are very good meat birds and most people do prefer it!

Educating the judges would be the right route to go. Some of us do not know what is the right color of a salmon. What one would interpret dark salmon has too much pigment while the light salmons are the "correct" color. Often times, the "in between of colors of the dark and light" can confuse us what IS the right color for the Salmons? If one wants to have the darker colors in their flock, they can produce dark salmons while others like the light salmon colors...it boils down the matter of preferences in what one would perceive a "correct" Salmon while others would consider it as a "sport". How would one consider as a "sport" when it is really a dark salmon?

Another thing that pops up now and then (including the Welsummers) that the UK breeders are bringing it to my attention are the pigment or color of the feather shafts and the down feathers, which is correct and not correct, which is genetic and which can be bred out by using correct breeder birds.

Did, we, the Americans messed up the originality of the Salmons? Breeding Faverolles to a consisent color for the same generation after generation, no wide variations, would a huge task. Impossible? I would like to think, no, it is NOT impossible but it would take dedication, time and finances to get there. Some breeders are on their way getting consisent color and type as well as the "table fowl" meat qualities that the original breed was known for as "dual purpose" breed. Under those beautiful feathers, we have to feel our way to see if they do posess those qualities.

Leisha, no worries...you're good to go. Don't let one bad apple ruin your day like it did for me two days ago.
thumbsup.gif
Must be a full moon out there that we are all got cabin fever and getting at each other's throats.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree if your applying that to the type before color question. I am not sure what you guys think about this but one of my long term goals/ projects is to have a line of Faverolles that are bred towards standard but where I can either use males or Capons as meat birds and where the hens have a decent lay rate.

The only people I know who eat their Faverolles culls is Melissa and her family. She said that the males make really good meat birds.

If thats not the function you were talking about sorry but I think they were a duel purpose birds back in France correct?

Peter and I have talked about caponizing a bit I know its a controvercial topic maybe I can try some out from my 4-H project hatch. I will have the help of 20+ pre vet students
big_smile.png

I agree though but I think right now some of our birds are bred for the function of being bred to APA standard and for the function of us enjoying them not saying that is wrong.

Give me your views on this maybe I am wrong or I am just seeing this from the wrong view or something.

Henry

Interesting, from a European perspective, type and size are key elements when judging faverolles - a cockerel should come in at between 7.5lbs - 10lbs,thus reflecting the true heritage the faverolles, which were more of a"meat bird" in France.
Perfect colour in salmons is notoriously difficult to achieve,as the desired feather in an exhibition bird usually means useles in the breeding pen, so this means use "double mating" Running both cock and pullet breeding runs.
We don't have mahogany faverolles here, I would be interested in what the underfluff looks like?

I like your weight standard, 7.5 to 10 pounds. I believe our standard is 8 pounds plus or minus 2 pounds. I remember when I was a t Sue Brutons' we weighted a cockerel and he went 9.5 pounds and her cock bird weighed 11.5 pounds. Now there's a meat bird.
Dick

Quote:
Interesting, from a European perspective, type and size are key elements when judging faverolles - a cockerel should come in at between 7.5lbs - 10lbs,thus reflecting the true heritage the faverolles, which were more of a"meat bird" in France.
Perfect colour in salmons is notoriously difficult to achieve,as the desired feather in an exhibition bird usually means useles in the breeding pen, so this means use "double mating" Running both cock and pullet breeding runs.
We don't have mahogany faverolles here, I would be interested in what the underfluff looks like?

I like your weight standard, 7.5 to 10 pounds. I believe our standard is 8 pounds plus or minus 2 pounds. I remember when I was a t Sue Brutons' we weighted a cockerel and he went 9.5 pounds and her cock bird weighed 11.5 pounds. Now there's a meat bird.
Dick

Great, bring him over for dinner! A great feast for a bird!

Mahogany Faverolles. I think were the confusion comes in is a while back I believe Sandhill or someone posted pictures of a male and female. The hen had a dark brown on her chest and she was really dark. You need a BB Red type male to breed the mahoganies. When I created the bantams (by a fluke,HAHA) I was mainly working on the buff bantam. I think the second or third year of breeding a few BB Reds, or mahoganies, popped. I started playing around with them for a few years but what I did was breed those males back to salmon hens. The pullets came out great, a little darker, but clean in the front. I wish I still had them. Maybe I'll make them again HA. Time and space...time and space... time and space.....more coops!!!!!!!
Dick

Thank you ...... I appreciate the help!

At the one show it was Eric Kutch from CA judging the featherlegs. There were 3 of us exhibiting and maybe 15 of the breed there total. I also saw 2 of the large fowl over in continental, but still not much to compare to. Eric placed that cockerel of mine with the darker red as BB, BV and one of the lightest pullets are RB, RV. At the MN State show, I can't remember who did the FL's. 3 of us exhibiting them again (2 other different people this time) and placings were totally off from last time. This time the judge gave BB to that speckled brown back cockerel of mine and RB to one of the darkest pullets of mine. The light pullet that went RB last time never even placed at all here.

Up here in MN, not many of the faverolles period. Tons of silkies and cochins though.... The FL's at most shows up here are 130+. I think it was either Mark Peterson or Duane Urch that had some of the standard fav's. This was the first year I've even seen the bantams exhibited.

I plan on setting up the individual pairings of birds later this spring. We used to raise lionhead and jersey wooley rabbits and have lots of those hanging 3x3' cages. I've used them in the past with my silkies and the size is just perfect for a pair or trio. Right now its like Siberia up here though. I have everything in group pens with heated pet bowls and deep shavings til the weather shapes up. Temps as low as -30 are pretty common. Same reason you see a lil corn in the feeders.... Normally I only feed the Kent pelleted feed, but the high energy value of corn seems to tide them over on those super cold nights.

Thanks for the suggestion on that one pullet. I didn't have many girls to work with so I kept back everything I saw that didn't have too bad of faults. On the cockerels, I really like that mahogany male too. If I'd have only kept one though I know my luck.... better to keep a backup or two.

I hope to make Crossroads.
fl.gif
I'm also the MN State Rep for the ASBC and I'd like to meet all of these people there too. New baby (human) on the way in just 7 weeks though too. We'll see how it goes I guess.
Amy

edited because I can't spell first thing in the morning.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom