Faverolles Thread

I hope everyone hatch is going well.
big_smile.png
The hatch along seems sooooo egg-citing!!!! I know most people want to keep all the chicks they hatch. If any breeders out there have an extra Faverolle hen and roo from your hatch that you would like to sell please let me know. I might end up going with Meyer hatchery but, I am still holding out in the hopes
fl.gif
that I might purchase from a quality breeder instead.

Good luck all and happy hatching,
Michelle

Quote:
I have to say that the Faverolles thread shares so much more personal info about their operator than any other breed thread. I have an old cabinet incubator that holds 160 eggs and is almost as old as I am. We have replaced several this on it over the years, but I would not trade it for any other bator. It is nice to get some ideas on how to keep birds seperated and better the breed.

Dick: How long does the marker stay on? Do you have to re-mark them?

It'll last a couple of weeks. As the chicks get older the color will get lighter. I have remarked some in the past but I try to wing band by the second week. I use to wing band them when they came out of the incubator but my eye sight isn't what it use to be. My wing bands have numbers on one side and my initials on the other. It takes time to wing band and log the numbers into my breeding records. As the birds get older and I get rid of the ones I want to get rid of I have my record book with me and I cross their numbers off my records. At the end of my hatching season I can go back and see how many I hatched from each breeding, how many I got rid of and how many I kept. Don't get me wrong, I get rid of a lot. There is no way I'm keeping 300 to 400 more birds. Not to say that all these birds are bad but I keep what I feel are the better ones. I might end up keeping 40 or at most 50 birds. Then I will probably get rid of some of my older birds. Just keep trying to improve.
Dick

Quote:
I have to say that the Faverolles thread shares so much more personal info about their operator than any other breed thread. I have an old cabinet incubator that holds 160 eggs and is almost as old as I am. We have replaced several this on it over the years, but I would not trade it for any other bator. It is nice to get some ideas on how to keep birds seperated and better the breed.

Dick: How long does the marker stay on? Do you have to re-mark them?

It'll last a couple of weeks. As the chicks get older the color will get lighter. I have remarked some in the past but I try to wing band by the second week. I use to wing band them when they came out of the incubator but my eye sight isn't what it use to be. My wing bands have numbers on one side and my initials on the other. It takes time to wing band and log the numbers into my breeding records. As the birds get older and I get rid of the ones I want to get rid of I have my record book with me and I cross their numbers off my records. At the end of my hatching season I can go back and see how many I hatched from each breeding, how many I got rid of and how many I kept. Don't get me wrong, I get rid of a lot. There is no way I'm keeping 300 to 400 more birds. Not to say that all these birds are bad but I keep what I feel are the better ones. I might end up keeping 40 or at most 50 birds. Then I will probably get rid of some of my older birds. Just keep trying to improve.
Dick

Dick, thanks so much for the explanation of the steps you go through. Makes it easier for us who are hoping to follow in your footsteps. I have my first ever batch in the bator right now - just 14. It's only been three days and I already can't stand the suspense!!

I thought I would show you guys what I'm doing at the house I'm renting. It was the perfect place to get some pens built to raise birds on my own again. As a few of you know my parents have been raising them the last five years while I was in college and starting a career. Anyway, here's our one day progress on the 30x18 poultry barn.
Front View 4'x10' still need to put on doors, nest boxes, roost bars, and hanging feeder and water.
76732_chickenbarnpen.jpg

Here's the the barn. There is a total of 6- 4'x10' pens with about a six foot isle in front for conditioning coops or rooster pens.
76732_chickenbarnprogress.jpg

Dad finishing up a wire divider. Ha, he's pretty good help for free. Thanks Dad!
76732_chickenbarndad.jpg

Quote:
Nice setup Jonathan. I'm sure you can't wait to fill up the pens and get to hatching. I know when I built my last coop once I got one section done the birds went in. It still took me 2 more months to finish the whole coop but I couldn't wait.
Dick

Quote:
Dick

Dick, thanks so much for the explanation of the steps you go through. Makes it easier for us who are hoping to follow in your footsteps. I have my first ever batch in the bator right now - just 14. It's only been three days and I already can't stand the suspense!!

HA, practice, practice, practice plus patience. HA
Dick

Back
Top Bottom