Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I like your rationale, and am much more comfortable with shipped bids than I used to be.
The only dead bird I've received was a roo who likely broke his neck trying to jump hard enough to get out of the box (he had succeeded at that once before it was sealed), & probably did it early; his melon wasn't touched & he looked like he'd been dead 2 days.
I don't want to know what I spent on eggs last year, and on worry about who to cull.
I'm still sad I didn't get to get pre-culled chicks from you this year.
smile.png

Laurie

Quote:
I've received some shipments that have had zero hatches, some that have had a few hatch, and some that were darned near 100%. I've had FAR more successful hatches with shipped eggs than failures, and that's what keeps me ordering eggs.
wink.png

Quote:
I have bought live chicks, mostly from they hatcheries as I don't show my birds anyway, and been perfectly happy, however I have bought eggs from some of the breeders on here (byc) and for the most part the hatch rates were very high, once I bought 12 eggs and the breeder sent 13 all 13 hatched and lived and were beautiful birds. My lowest hatch rate was of a dozen Speckled Sussex from a breeder and I only got 2 out of the hatch, however they were both girls, and beautiful and had personalities to match, I think that the reason the hatch was so low was maybe because it was my first home hatch ever, I lost one of the girls to a raccoon a couple of weeks ago but my Uno was and still is my most favorite Hen, I can say I think that breeder birds are far better with personality and calmness and would consider buying live chicks from a breeder, but I would think that buying and shipping chicks would be just as hard on them as it is for the hatcheries, Anyway As far as the money spent goes , the twenty I spent on the eggs was well worth the 2 girls I got out of the hatch, I probably wouldn't get anymore than the 10 out of either girl if I was to sell them but all in all the money was well spent on them.
big_smile.png
JMO Sandy

Quote:
Okay, here is my somewhat rambling feedback. Except for the first batch of hatchery chicks a couple of years ago, I have always used shipped eggs to add to my flock. I have had both excellent and awful hatch rates from shipped eggs. I have considered buying chicks or started birds from breeders, but for me part of it is the challenge and that I really enjoy hatching and raising the chicks. I think that, no matter how many times I see it, watching a chick make its way out of the shell will always be an amazing moment. Shipped eggs are a gamble. Always. Any time that I order eggs from someone I know that I may get absolutely nothing for my money but frustration. But . . . there is also the possibility that I'll get several beautiful birds to add to my flock. I think my most expensive chick to date cost me $45 (only one hatched from that batch) but it would have cost me more to buy a started bird and then have it shipped. And I get the joy of watching this bird mature day by day. (Unfortunately, I will probably end up with a $75 roast chicken since its a cockerel!) My chickens aren't my pets, I have no problem eating the culls, but I do really enjoy raising and caring for them - that's why I have them. They are the most enjoyable hobby I have ever had. Hobbies cost money. At least I get eggs and fried chicken from this hobby.
big_smile.png
Compared to many hobbies though, chickens are relatively inexpensive. I have a daughter that competes in dressage. Believe me, it will take me a loooooong time to spend as much money on eggs/chickens as I have spent on riding lessons, horses, horse shows, equipment, clothing, etc. After my first year with chickens, my husband made the comment that I could have as many chickens as I wanted if I would just get our daughter to switch from showing horses to showing chickens.
lol.png
So I suppose I order shipped eggs because I am willing to risk a little money to get the "full experience" and the possibility of failure is part of that experience for me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, here is my somewhat rambling feedback. Except for the first batch of hatchery chicks a couple of years ago, I have always used shipped eggs to add to my flock. I have had both excellent and awful hatch rates from shipped eggs. I have considered buying chicks or started birds from breeders, but for me part of it is the challenge and that I really enjoy hatching and raising the chicks. I think that, no matter how many times I see it, watching a chick make its way out of the shell will always be an amazing moment. Shipped eggs are a gamble. Always. Any time that I order eggs from someone I know that I may get absolutely nothing for my money but frustration. But . . . there is also the possibility that I'll get several beautiful birds to add to my flock. I think my most expensive chick to date cost me $45 (only one hatched from that batch) but it would have cost me more to buy a started bird and then have it shipped. And I get the joy of watching this bird mature day by day. (Unfortunately, I will probably end up with a $75 roast chicken since its a cockerel!) My chickens aren't my pets, I have no problem eating the culls, but I do really enjoy raising and caring for them - that's why I have them. They are the most enjoyable hobby I have ever had. Hobbies cost money. At least I get eggs and fried chicken from this hobby.
big_smile.png
Compared to many hobbies though, chickens are relatively inexpensive. I have a daughter that competes in dressage. Believe me, it will take me a loooooong time to spend as much money on eggs/chickens as I have spent on riding lessons, horses, horse shows, equipment, clothing, etc. After my first year with chickens, my husband made the comment that I could have as many chickens as I wanted if I would just get our daughter to switch from showing horses to showing chickens.
lol.png
So I suppose I order shipped eggs because I am willing to risk a little money to get the "full experience" and the possibility of failure is part of that experience for me.

Very well said!!!!!
clap.gif

I have a lot of breeds I can hatch right here for the experience, but if there is a breed that I really want and can't find close to me, my husband understands $50 better than $150-200. In the long run, you do pay more money for eggs that chicks / started birds, but we normally don't have that much extra money, so eggs it is. When all my children are grown and I have extra money, I am sure I will do chicks and started birds more often.

I also agree with Peter, if you are looking for the best stock and to show, then you don't want eggs. You really do need to start with good chicks or a great pair. Otherwise, you could end up with only a couple eggs hatching and none may be SQ.

Plus, some people just love the gamble and rush of hatching eggs.....you never know if your going to WIN!!!!

Quote:
big_smile.png
lol.png

Exactly. Very well said! And, to add to that, based on what promiseland said - part of the fun of hatching and raising your own, rather than buying started birds is getting to watch them grown and develop, and find faults along the way. Sometimes it is frustrating, but it's a learning experience, and how does a new breeder learn if not by trial and error?

(I'd also like to add that I received a report this morning that out of 42 eggs I shipped to Arkansas - in 5 seperate shipments - 37 chicks hatched!!) Woo hoo! THOSE are the hatches that make it worthwhile!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom