Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Thanks!!!
lol.png

eta: Glad to see you over here!!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Hello Sir!! Glad to see a fellow fancier here in Arkansas. Sheridan here!!

Hey buff, youre just a rocks throw, & 2 hollers away! I'm by West Pangburn, between Searcy & Heber Springs.

Great!! Hope to see you around. Sounds like you are building quite a LF flock up there. Not sure if you are on either of the meet up groups here in Ar or not but big swap in Sheridan this Saturday and one in Benton next weekend. Look me up if you make it to either!

Peter - the exact padding materials I use depend on what I have around (I try to re-use or recycle everything, and I get most if not all of my packing materials from work) BUT I prefer shredded paper to pad the boxes with. I build a "nest" of shredded paper (or crinkled up newspaper) in the bottom of the box, and up the sides, next is a piece (about 2 - 2 1/2 feet long) of the bubble wrap with the large bubbles that I lay down on top of that, and squish it down into the nest leaving the ends free to wrap over the top. Each egg gets wrapped in the bubble wrap with the small bubbles by taking a piece of bubble wrap about 6" wide by about 12" long, and using a piece of scotch tape to bring the 2 corners together at the bottom, forming a little pocket , and folding the edges up as I wrap the egg...this part is kind of hard to explain, so if it doesn't make sense tell me and I'd be happy to try again, or Steve might be able to explain it better..all the eggs go into the nest so they are SNUG, and I lay them on their sides. I like to use a box that is large enough that I don't have to stack them more than 2 high. Then I fold the ends of the large-bubble wrap over the nest of eggs, and fill in with shredded or crinkled paper so NOTHING moves in the box. I mark every side of the box with either "FRAGILE, HATCHING EGGS" or "FRAGILE, LIVE EGGS".

I don't like packing peanuts because I think they allow for too much shifting in the box. I also don't like egg cartons (though I know many that swear by this method). I have had some of my worst hatches receiving eggs by these two methods. (Although, I have had a couple of really good hatches from eggs shipped in cartons, but those have definitely been the exception in my experiences).

I know some have said that they think that marking the boxes, "fragile, etc" MAKES the USPS be rougher with the eggs, but I think that people that would mess with eggs like that are the exception, and my PO has specifically said that YES you should definitely mark the box like that.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom