Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Is this a problem with the standard size as well? I thought they were suppose to lay pretty good...

My large fowl lay very well. My bantams actually lay fairly well too, even in moult I got three eggs from four hens today....

Mine (banatms) were the only ones that laid throughout the winter - and haven't stopped since. They are the best layers I have. I have a mixed flock of different breeds, sizes, and ages.

Now i have a feeling that these need new blood. Problem is i have only found one breeder in canada that has them
hmm.png
and that's the person that i go my pair from. The pair i have arn't the best but i know i can get good cocks out of them. I hatch one chick this year, and it turns out to be a cockerel with VERY dark red colouring on him ( not washed out gold like the cock that bred the hen) but then a racoon killed it grrr!! I love this breed. It's awesome the rooster is a very good size for a bantam and the hen is so "chill" and relaxed.

i just had a cute little banty hatch!
celebrate.gif
perfect 5 toes and placement, nice puffy cheeks and cuter than a button! the issue is it already looks like it has black wingtips under it's fluff! AARRGGHH! i don't need another roo! here's hoping my little hours old chick is just fooling me and will grow out to be a pretty little girl!

Chickie'sMoma :

i just had a cute little banty hatch!
celebrate.gif
perfect 5 toes and placement, nice puffy cheeks and cuter than a button! the issue is it already looks like it has black wingtips under it's fluff! AARRGGHH! i don't need another roo! here's hoping my little hours old chick is just fooling me and will grow out to be a pretty little girl!

ahhh now i want pictures
tongue.png

Remember how a couple of months ago I posted a picture of my "last" hatch of the season? " At least", I said, "unless I have a broody sometime this summer." Well . . . . broody number 7 is now screaming at me from the nest box as of this morning!
barnie.gif
Broody #1 has a batch of 3 week old chicks, Broody #2 has 9 two week old chicks, Broody #3 (a Silkie) has 2 two week olds, Broody #4 has 5 that just hatched last night, Broody #6 has 2 weeks to go, and #7 is the one in the nest box (a Cochin) that has already been broody once this year. Oh well, I wanted lots of chicks this year . . .
hu.gif
. Jeanine, I think you did this. I do remember that you teased me for saying it was my last hatch of the season. You must have hexed my hens,
lol.png
!

Last edited:
I currently have a tiny flock of hens (4) and really would like to get some LF Faverolles. I keep reading that they do not do well in mixed flocks because of their gentle nature. All of my birds are pretty gentle breeds (1 Welsummer, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Ameraucana, & soon to be 2 cochin, all standard size). If I added a couple of faverolle hens to that mix, do you think it would be a problem? 8 would be the max size of our flock.

Quote:
In my layer flock I have (all large fowl) Cochins, EEs, Brahmas, Orpingtons, Marans and Faverolles (and have had Welsummers) with no problems. They all have their own little "chicken cliques" that they hang out with but I have no bullying problems. I think it helps also to add at least 2 at a time so the newbies can hang out togther until they are accepted by the rest of the flock.

Last edited:
same with me on the mixed flock that mostly get along with everyone. but my favs are bantams and i have a few LF pullets still growing out with my adult bantams. so far they all seem fine together. i have found that some favs can be easily picked on if they are low in their order. most of my favs are either the top or mid range birds in the flock. i lost my girl that was low on the pecking order this past winter.

Quote:
ahhh now i want pictures
tongue.png

i will over the next couple days. i don't want to disturb the broody moma that has more eggs possibly hatching!
big_smile.png

ChickOnTheHill, you're not the only one dealing with broodies this year. i've had 3 different girls go broody on me several times since February. only one has been successful so far both times she's done it! and that is my current little moma Penelope the banty cochin! i have another girl that started showing she was broody again a couple of weeks ago but it was too late for the marans eggs she's been trying to hatch. so i have some lavender cochin eggs coming this week to satisfy her obsession! (here's hoping i can help work on getting lavender favs going!)

i just wish i've had the success you've been having so far with hatching your eggs!

I have a dozen LF Salmon Fav in the incubator at the moment. Expected hatch data is Wed. This is Fanny, I am hoping she will have some pullet friends from the hatch. She is the lone prima donna pullet from the May hatch. There are 4 cockerels from that group that keep her company.
40707_fanny1a.jpg

40707_fanny1b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom