Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Umm....I just found out my mom has a brain tumor....but my parents & sisters are planning on coming up sometime soon (after the baby is born)....for a week or two...they are from Portland...so they could transport them back..I only have two pullets left but they pretty nice ones.

Oh my gosh, Heather, I am so sorry!!!!
sad.png

Am sorry TOO...YOu seem to have your share...Is there anything that they can do for her????? eliz

Quote:
All bearded birds have a harder time in the heat. When mine start panting they get ice water in a shallow pan so they can drink or stand in it if they choose (rubber grain pan) and their runs get hosed down. When it gets really hot they get a mister over their run. I've heard of folks losing them once the thermometer goes over 100.

I lost the little blue roo today.
sad.png

So now I'm back to just having two pullets....do you want them? I will be selling them...no need to have two pullets taking up space w/o a roo and it's too hard to keep everyone alive....
hit.gif

I lost the older of 2 blue sons today too...The water pan turned over on him and didn't see til the afternoon. too late. Outside, The remaining FAvs that were sick are all fine as if nothing had happened....waiting on testing. Am wondering since all the other birds overwintered outside and are still fine and the Favs. were in boxes in the barn til 2 months ago.... if the extreme weather swings stressed them enough to make them sick????eliz

Quote:
I lost the little blue roo today.
sad.png

So now I'm back to just having two pullets....do you want them? I will be selling them...no need to have two pullets taking up space w/o a roo and it's too hard to keep everyone alive....
hit.gif

I lost the older of 2 blue sons today too...The water pan turned over on him and didn't see til the afternoon. too late. Outside, The remaining FAvs that were sick are all fine as if nothing had happened....waiting on testing. Am wondering since all the other birds overwintered outside and are still fine and the Favs. were in boxes in the barn til 2 months ago.... if the extreme weather swings stressed them enough to make them sick????eliz

hit.gif
I don't know....maybe....

Umm....I just found out my mom has a brain tumor....but my parents & sisters are planning on coming up sometime soon (after the baby is born)....for a week or two...they are from Portland...so they could transport them back..I only have two pullets left but they pretty nice ones.

Rare Feathers Farm, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom
sad.png
I wish her the best and am sending her - and you - a very BIG HUG
hugs.gif

I am soooo excited! I am gettng a Fav pullet from Leisha Comer in October to add to my little mixed banty flock!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Bella looks very content...

Thought I would share a few photos of chicks I hatched from Cloverleaf. I ended up with ten chicks. Looks like four girls and six boys. They are about four weeks old now. They just went out on grass. I have a few mutts in with them. I am really enjoying them so far.
big_smile.png

48594_group_shot.jpg

48594_group_shot_3.jpg

48594_girl.jpg

48594_girl_2.jpg

48594_boy.jpg

48594_2_boys.jpg

I am planning on getting some Faverolles eggs to hatch, too. This is what I'm worried about, though: What do you do when you get more males than females? Do you have to give some males away (and isn't it hard to find homes for roosters?)? I know Faverolles are supposed to be less aggressive, but I'm assuming you can't keep that ratio of males to females together without the males fighting...?

Quote:
I always have 2 boys together, and there is definitely a dominant roo and they occasionally have a stand off, but they never really get into it. Faverolles were originally bred to be an excellent meat bird, and they are. I know not everyone can eat birds that they raise from chicks, but extra Fav roos at my house = soup. And they are FANTASTIC!!!

Quote:
I always have 2 boys together, and there is definitely a dominant roo and they occasionally have a stand off, but they never really get into it. Faverolles were originally bred to be an excellent meat bird, and they are. I know not everyone can eat birds that they raise from chicks, but extra Fav roos at my house = soup. And they are FANTASTIC!!!

Agreed. I have 3 roosters together who never get into more then little squabbles. As long as each boy has like 3-4 girls they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom