Faverolles Thread

how can anyone miss them at shows they are the prettiest ones there... not that I am biased or anything LOL

on a sadder note, what is the longest everyone has had live birds (young adult stock, LF) ship and be OK? I have 4 birds that were due yesterday and they are stuck in PO limbo... shipped out of CA, entered the system at 9:45 am on Tuesday, packed with 2 pears, 4 oranges and a few handfuls of grain. I gotta hope they will arrive tonight at the Boston hub and I can go get them... 4 hour round trip but I can and will do it if they might be OK. Give me reason to hope everyone
fl.gif

the PO has been a little slow when it comes to shipping live birds, and even eggs some times. i panic'd when i had Henry send me Apollo, Mosy and the 3 girls when they didn't come by 3pm the following day a couple years ago. they came the next morning and my dh wasn't too thrilled with the crowing roo in the box while he was trying to get some sleep before he had to work that night.

it sounds like the seller prepared them with a lot of goodies to keep them happy and hydrated.

how can anyone miss them at shows they are the prettiest ones there... not that I am biased or anything LOL

on a sadder note, what is the longest everyone has had live birds (young adult stock, LF) ship and be OK? I have 4 birds that were due yesterday and they are stuck in PO limbo... shipped out of CA, entered the system at 9:45 am on Tuesday, packed with 2 pears, 4 oranges and a few handfuls of grain. I gotta hope they will arrive tonight at the Boston hub and I can go get them... 4 hour round trip but I can and will do it if they might be OK. Give me reason to hope everyone
fl.gif

My worst luck with shipping has been from CA... and I'm the next state up! Not birds, just eggs. I've had them lost or delayed nearly every time. On the other hand, I just had 2 eggs shipments arrive next day. One was from Bend OR (no real shock, central OR to S. OR) and the other from Yacolt WA. The Yacolt eggs wouldn't have been delivered next day but since my phone number was on the box, the Medford plant called when they arrived at the processing plant (mail had already gone out to the offices). Fortunately the box was marked LIVE, not just fragile. The USPS treats anything marked "LIVE" as express with special handling. I hope your birds arrive safe and sound today. Even if they ran out of goodies, they should be fine.

Ok guys, I've got a total of 6 Bantam Faverolles that hatched 10 days ago. Could I please please get you all's expert opinion on genders? If you need more pictures or clearer picture of different angles just let me know and I'd be glad to take them. I'm seeing no feathers coming in black which leads me to believe I don't know what I'm looking at or the new feathers aren't long enough to tell yet. I can't imagine in 100 yrs I'd get lucky enough to get 6 girls. So I'd like it if some of you could take a look at them. I got the eggs from a lady here on BYC who got her birds several years ago from Henry here on the list. I've waited quite some time to get Faverolles babies and I adore them.
Alright, here's the numbered pictures, please help if you can:

3 and 6 might be boys but I would wait til the shoulder feathers come in- if they get blond, beige or honey colored shoulders they are most likely girls, they get black- true black, they are boys. All bets are off if they are blues, because I only raise salmon LF and don't know anything about the blue colors development. Should be able to clearly see which is which in a few weeks.
Hope this helps, someone else might know better than me, but I always second guess them until the shoulders come in and then it is obvious... the leg feathers also are a big clue, black is always boys, anything other than black would be a girl.
Good Luck with them
smile.png

Sandi

Yeah I had the same problem with trying to differentiate boys from girls at that early. But within 5-6 more days the differences where clear! Sadly in my first batch I ended up with 6 males and 2 females!
barnie.gif
I would wait a little longer to be sure hopefully their all girls though!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom