Faverolles Thread

" if more breeders bred this way the breed would have much better vigor".

Hmmm. Ya know, i own probably the most closed flock breeding wise in the entire country. Consequently yes, my bloodlines are tight but I don't get where some of you are coming from with this "lack of vigor". I have no problems with weak chicks or birds and never have. I think the message here is as follows. Chickens are like any thing else. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap chicks from hatchery junk? You get the fact that hatcheries don't pay any attention to how they breed their off color, bad toed, bad typed, miserable combed DQable junk! What else comes from unmanaged breeding with no concern except how much $$$$$ they can make off of their cheap eggs and chicks. Simply put
My Pet Chicken is so stupid they list Mahogony as being an accepted variety in the APA Standard. NOT!

Some of you just haven't been doing this long enough to make some of the claims about the breed that you do. Get a whole bunch of time in then make qualified statements.....

Peter

Hey Melody....-)
peter
My fav roo is one of the sweetest birds I have ever had....even clamer than the silkies. So if someone is looking for a quiet calm bird to be around kids the faverolle breed is one to consider in my opinion...

My sweet Sammy loves to be held and cuddled...

Faverolles are addicting......just saying........

For the record, my statement was in relation only to the chicks from Meyer (MPC), which of course are hatchery quality, as they are from a hatchery. In my experience, their chicks are fragile. I fully expect well bred birds to have chicks with a much greater vigor!

We just hatched our first batch of salmon faverolles from eggs we ordered and almost half of them have four toes on one or both feet. I know this is a defect for a show bird, but at what rate would you expect this to happen? Six of thirteen birds seems high, but I am also pretty new to the breed.

Thanks!

We just hatched our first batch of salmon faverolles from eggs we ordered and almost half of them have four toes on one or both feet. I know this is a defect for a show bird, but at what rate would you expect this to happen? Six of thirteen birds seems high, but I am also pretty new to the breed.

Thanks!

That is high. I would guess they've got some cross breeding going on... :/

I agree with you Peter! I find it rather disgusting to see Faverolles "degraded" into that type when it is not at their truest example and folks expected something more out of them when they are really NOT what it is. Hatchery birds are just called that and for a good reason...a quick buck!

When I ordered thru McMurray many years ago, they look similar to the BQ Faverolles but now, they looked awful unless you want to breed for Mahoganys.

MPC saying Mahoganies are accepted in the SOP......are you KIDDING me?! Where did they get their facts?! (palmface)
" if more breeders bred this way the breed would have much better vigor".

Hmmm. Ya know, i own probably the most closed flock breeding wise in the entire country. Consequently yes, my bloodlines are tight but I don't get where some of you are coming from with this "lack of vigor". I have no problems with weak chicks or birds and never have. I think the message here is as follows. Chickens are like any thing else. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap chicks from hatchery junk? You get the fact that hatcheries don't pay any attention to how they breed their off color, bad toed, bad typed, miserable combed DQable junk! What else comes from unmanaged breeding with no concern except how much $$$$$ they can make off of their cheap eggs and chicks. Simply put
My Pet Chicken is so stupid they list Mahogony as being an accepted variety in the APA Standard. NOT!

Some of you just haven't been doing this long enough to make some of the claims about the breed that you do. Get a whole bunch of time in then make qualified statements.....

Peter

Ok so the Merlin hatch is finished, I got 18 out of 27 to develop, and 11 of those made it to hatch, 4 of which needed assistance to break free of their shells. 2 are "Sum" babies, the rest are "Mar", got the "Sum" babies banded to keep them separate. Got 2 definite culls; a chick with slightly bulgy eyes who pipped on the wrong end and needed help, and a chick with a tiny head who seems fine other then that difference. Both are out of the bigger group.

I opened all 7 of the eggs that failed to pip, and none had internally pipped, so they all were very early quitters. They were all developed to term except 2. I have a batch of OEGB babies that hatched with them and they all (22) popped out no problem, they all came from the same incubator. I do dry incubation, which keeps everything around 20-25%, then move everybody to a hatcher that runs about 60% humidity. I am thinking the dry weather might have caused some problems for the bigger eggs? They looked like normal term chicks except for the 2 that looked to have died around day 15.

I am very pleased with the number that hatched, as I got a hatch rate around 40%, wish I could have done something for the ones that quit, but I try not to ever help them... broke that rule 4 times with this bunch, but only because they seemed exhausted and their shells had been zipped around for nearly 8 hours. They are very tired babies! LOL I had to put them separate from the bantams because the zippy lil OEGBs were driving them crazy with their running around while the Favs were trying to nap. All in all very pleased with how they did, and the 2 "Sum" babies are very typey and uniform even as chicks, almost did not need to band them. Looking forward to growing them out and seeing how they turn out. Toes were nice right across the board, got one with a thin beard but maybe they will fluff out in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom