Faverolles Thread

OK She talked me into one more try. Anyone with eggs for sale .LF SQ PLEASE pm me. Have a few broody silkies we're gonna try with this time. We're located in Louisiana

I'm new to chickens, and the Faverolles are one of the breeds I am looking at closely. I plan to keep small flocks of a couple different breeds, but do want to have quality birds. I understand it is better to purchase stock from breeders rather than hatcheries? I really would prefer to not go through the painful learning curve of poor quality, unhealthy stock. I'm also curious as to how many color variations Faverolles have. I've seen one or two, but heard that there are many more. How many are there, and what are they? Also, how are they in heat and cold temperatures? Everything I've read so far is telling me that I won't go wrong with Faverolles. It sounds like their personalities are exactly what I want.

Thank you very much for any help. We are excited about our future endeavor, and we want to be fully aware of everything we need to know before we purchase any birds. I do not want to make the birds pay the price for me to learn things I should already have known.

i think the only color you will find easily will be Salmon... but i have seen or heard of ppl working with B/B/S, white, mahogany, ermin(sp?), and Buff... i love my Salmons and they are good birds... depending on how new you are to chickens i would suggest keeping hatchery birds for a year before sinking much money into good birds... make all your mistakes on the cheep ones lol...
I'm new to chickens, and the Faverolles are one of the breeds I am looking at closely. I plan to keep small flocks of a couple different breeds, but do want to have quality birds. I understand it is better to purchase stock from breeders rather than hatcheries? I really would prefer to not go through the painful learning curve of poor quality, unhealthy stock. I'm also curious as to how many color variations Faverolles have. I've seen one or two, but heard that there are many more. How many are there, and what are they? Also, how are they in heat and cold temperatures? Everything I've read so far is telling me that I won't go wrong with Faverolles. It sounds like their personalities are exactly what I want.

Thank you very much for any help. We are excited about our future endeavor, and we want to be fully aware of everything we need to know before we purchase any birds. I do not want to make the birds pay the price for me to learn things I should already have known.

Are you looking for large fowl or bantams? There aren't too many LF varieties (yet). Some of us are working on more, but they are a ways off from being right. I have a lot of different varieties of bantams though. :)

What Size egg do the bantams lay? Are they as small as the Oe bantams? I am investigating some breeds for next Spring hatching. I love the fact the faverolles are gentle hens. I have a little bit of everything large fowl almost now. Gloria Jean

i think the only color you will find easily will be Salmon... but i have seen or heard of ppl working with B/B/S, white, mahogany, ermin(sp?), and Buff... i love my Salmons and they are good birds... depending on how new you are to chickens i would suggest keeping hatchery birds for a year before sinking much money into good birds... make all your mistakes on the cheep ones lol...
hummm...I was also thinking of some Faverolles to add to my flock...yes I know they can be timid and I was planing on raising them with other more docile chicks like polish, barnevlders, sussex and maybe some sultans and barred rock...hehe my list of chickens I want for next year...I will have 3 large coops by then so I figure they will sourt out who lives with who and they free range all day and we have tons of space so that will not be a problem...but I am still trying to decide between hachery or haching eggs...I am experenced in both (but haching has just been with my own broodies and her babies) and I have had chickens of and on my whole life but have been addicted for a few years now
idunno.gif
big_smile.png
...right now I have about 25 egg layers and 25 banies....I have not yet bought haching eggs and do not yet have a brooder...on my list for next year....but I was thinking that haching eggs would be about 25$ a dozen (though I know some have reached 50-100$ for more rare colors and breeds, is this where the Faverolles are? I was trying to stay away from the overly expensive ones
barnie.gif
) and hachery birds are 3-4$ per bird so about 20$ for 5 and if only half of your batch hatched and you had 6 then that would be about the same price....Sooooo, I'm feeling I am way off on price!!!! What are haching eggs from good breeders going for??? I really want nice birds...that being said I have been happy with hachery stock for my past birds but now want to know real nice birds that meet standards esp. with the sultans and some rare colors in the Sussex and probably the bared rock as I have heard their hachers stock is quite below average....

All this talk about adding Favs. to a mixed flock. I would not recommend it.
sad.png
I had Favs that were raised with other breeds and all seemed to be just fine. All the sudden my Favs were constantly picked on. My mother has a few with her flock and she has decide to keep them separate. Lucky for me she is keeping a pen of Favs to try breeding. I had to re home my Favs.
hit.gif
I am very happy I get to see some at my mom's.

It has been mentioned before that the Favs. have trouble getting along with other breeds. I had big girls and they were not able to stand up for themselves. I miss them everyday. I do have a few Fav crosses that helps me a bit.

I have heard this also...I still want to try and if I have to make them a coop all for them... by themselves, that will be fine.... if I love them the way everyone of here does
big_smile.png
....I wonder if I raised a few roo's of a different breed with them if it would help keep the hens from being picked on while free ranging? I have also though that if I have a silkie sit on the eggs maybe I can keep them with my silkies??? Any one have luck with silkies co-habitation?

Back
Top Bottom