Faverolles

Tommarow I will post a pic of the other fav sister she is better looking and I will show you how tame they are
lol.png

I think my "mahogany" faverolle is a "sport" LOL It's ok.... she doesn't have feathered feet either
sad.png
But she is so sweet (skittish yes) but you can see how gentle she is. A totally different personality then all my other birds.

I HOPE it's a she..... they had two that were lighter overall than the others and were better feathered.

fav.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, everybody has such nice looking Faverolles.

I guess, except for Sandhill Preservation, all the hatcheries sell what ever color they have as Salmon Faverolles.

Ewesheep, it sounds like you are the resident expert with color. I'm still confused, can I assume the "sport" color is kind of the mixed soup of Faverolle coloring?

Does anyone know how much my 6 week old Faverolles will change in color and feather as they mature?

You folks are great. I'm so glad I found this site.

This is one of my Salmon Faverolle pullets, hatched April 2 from Ideal Hatchery. She is about 8 weeks old in this picture.

IMG_4045.jpg

She and her 2 sisters are not my boldest chicks, but they aren't skittish (not like a leghorn). They are sweet and I think they are getting more social with me as they get older. My other breeds (BR, Speckled Sussex, BO, Dorking, EE) are all underfoot, the Faverolles just don't push their way in with the others, and they don't let me just reach down and pick them up like some of the others do. I like them.

Baybrio, yes you can say that it is an odd coloring or a "wild" coloring that is not normal Faverolle coloring. Dick Boulanger, one of the premier breeders of Favs, told me of certain colors of Faverolles going on and the hatcheries are a bad lot for "true" favorelles but neverthanless, its all up to folks in what they want. Over in Europe, they call Mahogany Faverolles a "Sport" Faverolles.

Dick and Rose Isgrigg are good folks to deal with and if you want true Faverolles, I am sure they can refer you to true breeders that go by quality, temperment, correct fifth toe placements, etc.

Guits, your Faverolle is certainly a pullet and a sport because she got ticking on her breast feathers....the mahogany favs supposed to have cream chests, no ticking or barrings. Sometimes if you cross her with another true Fav, sometimes the ticking will be lost on the next generation but occassionally you will get a throw back. Like my first generation of Mahogany Fav roo x Salmon Fav Bantam pullets of Mahgoany Fav Bantams and when they were a year old, they got lighter. And didnt continue with breeding them back to their Mahogany Fav father to deepen the color. Dick Boulanger said he used to have Mahogany Fav Bantams many years ago but fell out of favor and whites and blues are the rage right now.

Thanks for the info Ewesheep I'm going to keep your post, if I decide to actually breed Faverolles I'll try and contact the folks you mentioned. I can't imagine I'll every be interested in showing birds but if I'm going to raise another generation I might as well do my best to produce Faverolles that have all the qualities the breed description promotes.

Still, I'm thankful we can all get our feet wet with birds from the big hatcheries. Even if their chicks are not always the best of the best I bet many "chicken addictions" started with hatchery chicks
big_smile.png

We all did started with hatcheries but once we wanted the upper crust of the chicken breed, we started doing some research and eyeballing the Eggbid auctions and go from there.

If you want some Faverolle bantams, I am sure Mothergoose (Christie) might have some, and Jimjay, and all the wonderful BYC members might have bantams and large fowls in here.

Okay Faverolle breeders, post your stuff in here!

Baybrio I think you might get some fluctuation in coloring untill they are about 6 months of age when they get their adult feathers,,,then each molt might change the color a little,,,but I am also new to favorelles so dont know a whole lot about that breed specifically

My favorelles dont have much for beards right now,,,they are about 8 wks but I am thinking they must develope these a little later too,,,because the are good birds

Back
Top Bottom