Favorite Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fireraven0613, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Fireraven0613

Fireraven0613 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    I have 35 chickens coming next month but I have an opportunity to get a few more however I'm undecided on the breed I want to add. I'm in love with the black austalorps, and the blue laced red wyndottes. I have a few different breeds currently and of course I love them too. Just wondering what everyone favorites are and why.

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have 3 favorites out of my flock, but their are many breeds I want to get that I favor for their looks. Personality wise though my speckled sussex has been my fav for a while. As a chick she was the runt so due to lots of handling she is very sweet. She squats when she hears my voice, loves to explore, and when I am going to lock them up she is almost always the first to come out and greet me. I love my barred rocks to. I have 2 roosters both who are pretty friendly and will allow themselfs to be held, and then their young sister who I absolutly adore. When I am in the coop she is usually their right next to me, when I am outside she isn't far, she allows me to pick her up, when I am feeding them she is at my side, she has the sweetest expression, and I love her dearly. Now if you wanted to go looks wise, I would say my silkies. While they are not the sweetest of my chickens now that they live by themselves they have mellowed out. They are small and fluffy and have produced an adorable baby. She is also a better layer then I expected getting around 4 sometimes 5 eggs a week.

3. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd respond anyway.

I love the Americanas' looks with their color and muffs. The polish are adorable, but I did not keep any.

I love my Crevecour and am definetly getting more of them. Love the top knot that does not seem to impare her sight.

And my white Araucona (sp?). Big and white, she stands out.

And my Lakenvelder. He is so beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by