Favorite chicken breed?

My favorite is my Buckeye. She's really beautiful, and she has a fantastic personality. She is so intelligent and curious, I love that. She also is a solid layer and a great mama.

My next favorite is my Minorca. She is a little flighty, but has a ton of personality too and seems to protect the flock (I don't have a roo). She is always on patrol, pacing back and forth while the others free range. She has attacked my cat who got too close more than once.

For looks, I love my black cochins, but they are kinda "dopey" and drop eggs all over the yard.
roll.png

I have BBS Wyandottes, bantam frizzle cochins, silkies, Blue Wheaten/Wheaten Ameraucanas and some mixed babies in the layer flock.

My 2 favorites are the Ameraucanas and Silkies as they are sweet natured.

oh I forgot I have 1 coronation sussex chick that I got to try the breed out. Wanted a duel purpose bird with more chest then the Wyandottes have.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a minorca too. She was sold as a sex link. Needless to say when they all started maturing, she looked very different from my three sex links. She's a curious little thing and is becoming less flightly, especially now that she has started laying.

I will be getting more brahmas in the spring and I'm seriously considering adding a few more minorcas.

Quote:
This is something that I have been thinking about. I am at the point where I have to decide which breeds are going to be my focus. I love my Orps too so they are definitely one I am going to keep... my Orp roo is a real sweetie. I have 4 coops and runs and I want two breeds for each coop. One is strictly Banties... Silkies and Porcelain d'Uccles. I like a visually diverse flock as well as different color eggs. My customers love getting a colorful carton of eggs. I will keep my Easter Eggers but have to decide between my Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans... the Marans are a nice heavy breed... so I am leaning toward them. For white eggs I have Brown Leghorns and Norwegian Jaerhons... I am Norwegian so the Jaerhons won...
tongue.png
....actually they are less flighty than the Leghorns. I have a few years to work it all out since I am slowly shaping my flock as my hens age. But as of right now I have Blue Cochins, Gold Lace Wyandottes, Salmon Favorelles, Black Jersey Giants, Red Stars and Black Stars, and a few Australorps.. plus the ones listed above.... this is going to be hard
hmm.png

Why can't I get my buff Orpington pullet to love me?!
barnie.gif
Someone tell me how to win her over! She screams murder when I try to catch her, and she has YET to eat out of my hand after a month. I love her no matter what, because she is gorgeous.. I'm wondering if the hatchery quality buff orpingtons are friendlier for some reason? My SQ one sure is sassy!

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0629-2.jpg

Her favourite food is grapes, but that won't even get her to approach me
idunno.gif

No joke, my lavender orp is not my biggest fan. I could hold my maran and easter egger all day long and they'd be so happy, but Blanche thinks I'm the devil. Who knows why. It makes me so sad!!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom