Favorite chicken breeds?

Sussex and Cochin are good options. Keep in mind that Sussex tend to be too friendly for their own good and get easily chased off away from the flock. My Speckled Sussex cockerel is much lower on the dominance hierarchy than Slate, who happens to be a Blue Cochin Bantam cockerel who is 1/3 his height. Also, Sussex chicks are a bit on the weak side.

Cochins and Sussex both typically go broody. Sussex are dual-purpose birds and mine don't really want to to eat chicken feed, they would rather be foraging. Cochins do well in the cold but not in the heat. They are usually sweet like Sussex, but Slate is super annoying, albeit very hilarious. Breed only controls personality slightly, everything else is dependent on the one individual.

If possible. We can only have 7 so our top priority is egg production.

If your top priority is egg production, then I say you go with that and get some ISA browns, or Red Sex Links, or one of the Mediterranean breeds. Keep in mind that the Mediterraneans don't usually like to be touched. You could also just do 4 "hard core" egg producers and 3 dual purpose birds and see which ones you'd like to keep long term

If your top priority is egg production, then I say you go with that and get some ISA browns, or Red Sex Links, or one of the Mediterranean breeds. Keep in mind that the Mediterraneans don't usually like to be touched. You could also just do 4 "hard core" egg producers and 3 dual purpose birds and see which ones you'd like to keep long term
Also let me put in more cons, because I have learned the hard way that cons are sometimes more important than pros (unfortunately): ISA Browns, Leghorns, and other high-producing breeds tend to have easy vent issues. I have seen a lot of people think they need breeds like the Leghorn for eggs, but no, there are a lot of others. Such as the Easter Egger; while they are a mixed breed of random genetics, mine lay almost every day, even in the winter.

Also let me put in more cons, because I have learned the hard way that cons are sometimes more important than pros (unfortunately): ISA Browns, Leghorns, and other high-producing breeds tend to have easy vent issues. I have seen a lot of people think they need breeds like the Leghorn for eggs, but no, there are a lot of others. Such as the Easter Egger; while they are a mixed breed of random genetics, mine lay almost every day, even in the winter.

ISA brown really struggle after the three year mark, that is true. IME leghorns continue to do well with some extra calcium supplementation after the age of 2 for a long time. Especially leghorns from good breeders. I refrain from talking about EEs because due to their status as mix breeds, you don't know what you'll end up with. That said, another breed to consider is the legbar. Matches a lot of what you want, OP

I do not recommend any of the high production hybrids (Red Sex Link/Red Star, Black Sex Link/Black Star, Cinnamon Queen, ISA Brown, golden Comet, etc), especially if the kids are going to be involved. As was mentioned earlier, they often get sick and don't live long due to reproductive issues and that can be really hard for you and your kids if you're attached to them. Same goes for hatchery Orpingtons, sadly.

I know you've already had Barred Rocks, but I think Plymouth Rocks are good choices for a dual-purpose breed. My White Rock is 6 years old and still laying, albeit infrequently, and she has done well in this cold Vermont climate with a well-ventilated coop.

I also agree with the others that Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers are also good choices for eggs and cold hardiness, but not so much for meat. EEs are one of my very favorites - they lay plenty of large eggs, are colorful, and they have few health problems. They can be flighty and wander though.

Last edited:
I’m surprised Australorps haven’t been mentioned! They are friendly (but not cuddly), reach a nice size, and lay a ton of eggs. They usually live longer than the crossbreed heavy layers like the ISA Browns, also. They are usually found in black, but some places carry blue and splash as well.

Trying not to mention any breeds that might go broody. Australorp is a really good choice aside from that though

Back
Top Bottom