favorite cleaning products :) because this is an ongoing theme for me!

chickensducks&agoose :

I absolutely adore the scrubbing bubbles. the commercial makes me feel so happy, with all those smiling bubbles scrubbing around my tub. they do great work on my shower and tub... and if you spray on sticky stuff (stickers etc) and let it set, it comes right off. i also love murphy's oil soap, so sorry you're allergic! I scrub the bathroom floor around my bathroom with one of those bleachy powder scrubs, i forgot what it's called, but it comes in a green tube with a shaky top. it works great, and bleaches away germs. I also love bleach, even though I know it's bad. as far as mopping floors, I get a hot sinkfull of dishsoap and water, put a hand/dish towel in it, wring it out and use it to scrub the floor on my knees. also, windex is awesome for windows.

I am sorry, but if they ever remove the Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom cleaner from the store shelf I will just have to refuse to clean! I use it for the bathrooms and kitchen, it cuts through the greese like you would not believe. Excellent for surfaces, cleaning Frig, Microwave, cabinets, etc..

I also have become very fond of the majic eraser type scrubbing pads you can get at the dollar store (2 for a buck) instead of the 3.00 for one of the Mr. Clean brand. These remove that bio=film on waterers as well as many hard water deposits. and are the bomb for removing cooked on greese from the bottom of the pots and pans. (We like stir fry stuff alot)

I have always used vinegar for the toilets, dishwasher and anything with hard water deposits. and of course the windows and glass.

I occasionally resort to bleach for mold or mildew type problems or if someone has been ill with something the rest of the household would prefer not to have also.

Floors are terrazo and carpet, the terrazo gets either bleach, ammonia or just wet swiffer mopped depending on whats on the floor, and when the last time the floor was stripped and waxed. The carpet is so old that I am seriously considering just tearing it up in sections and throwing it out and reverting back to just terrazo floors, because they do help keep the rooms cooler (a big deal here in FL where a/c runs the better part of 9 months of the year).

I have been learning to use more natural cleaners, but have many cleaners on hand to use up and no I will not just throw them away. It is a slow process, but just like attaining self sufficiency each month I do something to move in that direction.​

My Steamer!

I have a $70 Wagner power steamer I bought at Costco. Everyone that has seen me use it wants one of their own.

Quote:
Holy smokes, I never thought of that!! I know those boogers are great for walls... crayon, sticky oily fingers, etc but it didn't even dawn on me to try it for pans... I've got one that's being a real bear so THANK YOU for sharing that little tidbit!

Quote:
I see infomertials for a steamer thingy......like a hot steam mop on a stick with just a cloth cover you can wash? Is that what you have? That thing look really interesting, but doesn't that cloth get dirty really fast? I love the idea of cleaning with just water, what could be safer than that? But I'm picturing I'd need about 10 of those cloths just to get through the entryway (I have two teenage boys and five dogs, need I say more?)

Usually I just add a little elbow greece to the water, but those steamers look cool. I always wondered what a 'real' person thought about them.................or someone not being paid to say they like it!

I use 409 in the kitchen and on my walls, I use the works in my toilet, and in my tub I use dutch girl and scrub free, I hate soap scum and have tried everything. my floors are swept and moped every day in either the blue mr. clean with fabreeze or in the blue pine sol. also for counter tops and the microwave the mr. clean miracle eraser is wonderful I like my house to smell good. now if I can find something to clean my couch and chair with. I hate my couch and chair I need a new one but no funds to get one. I am thinking about getting some covers for them they are stained up so bad

I'd like to use more natural and self sufficient products, and I hate to spend money on cleaning supplies!!!!

I make my own laundry soap and it is actually my favorite, I also use it in the dishwasher. But I must admit I love Scrubbing Bubbles in the bathroom every once in awhile. I try to scour with baking soda quite a bit too, but those Scrubbing Bubbles get everything clean so quickly. I read once, however, that the fumes off the aerosal cans they come in make it a pretty dangerous product. So now I spray and hold my breath!

I also find that plain old Clorox Bleach is my friend! And I've always loved Dawn dishwashing detergent, works for everything. I use those two products for many, many uses. I pay more for those brands, they just work better.

We use a product at my work that I've spilled over to using at home as well, it is a spray soft scrub gel. Has such a fresh scent. Interested in seeing what other people use.

I help pay the mortgage by cleaning houses professionally.

For bathrooms, Pine-Sol mixed with water (but don't use on glass or mirrors, it leaves smears). For shower/tub soap scum, diluted SoftScrub.

For kitchens, any anti-grease spray.

For dusting, Swiffer wands are wonderful. They hold the dust, not just shove it around, and the wand can get in corners and under things that you can't.

I've been trying to make my own lately -- feel it's safer for the little ones to be around. I've found the glass cleaner recipe at www.chickensintheroad.com works great (it's only water, rubbing alcohol, and white vinegar -- pretty cheap!). Haven't tried the others yet that Susan has on there, but looking to try the recipe for dust cleaner next. I have used vinegar and water mixture when mopping for a while now and it works great! I generally only reserve the bleach and lysol spray for when someone is sick.

Just wanted to add that I use my old glass cleaner bottle to put the homemade stuff in (recycling and those spray bottles do work great!).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom