Favorite Hatcheries/ Least favorite Hatcheries? Opintions?

What hatchery is your favorite??

• Total voters

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
Hello :frow
I was just wondering from everyone what their opinions were on certain hatcheries or which ones are your favorites.
Please give some details and what you ordered from them.
How was there customer service?

If you haven't joined BYC yet - Please join and register, tell us your experience!

Please inform everyone else... so that they can make the best decision possible when ordering baby chicks. Whether adding to your flock... or starting it!

Ideal is probably my favorite of the big hatcheries. I’ve ordered twice from them, and each time the chicks and poults arrived alive and fairly energetic. Their birds aren’t anything special in terms if adherence to SOP, but I’m still happy with what I’ve got from them.
Mcmurray sold me sick turkeys once, so they’re a no-go for me now. I’ve had a family member order twice from them as well and have between 1/3 and 1/2 of the chicks be DOA each time.

To your point about helping inform people, I agree that it's well worth the time to do research. If you're leaning towards a hatchery, do a forum search here on BYC. Know that if you get chicks from TSC or Rural King, they are coming from Hoovers, etc. Try to learn about the Hatchery itself, they can be incredibly different in size, conditions, quality breeding, etc. My local TSC uses Hoovers obviously, but my family-owned local feed store uses Privett and Jenks (not on the list above.) The fact that I've had only good experience can either be good on Privett or the stores receiving process (how do they handle the chicks the moment they arrive and thereafter,) or BOTH. I've seen TSC process locally and I think it's awful compared to the local store that has an actual temperature-controlled brooder room, wood brooder boxes off the floor, not overcrowded, etc. etc. What vaccines are important to you, does the hatchery do those? What state are you in, what state are chicks shipping from and how (USPS Express, Priority or Ground?) But then some of it is on you, how many are you ordering and what time of year?

To your point about helping inform people, I agree that it's well worth the time to do research. If you're leaning towards a hatchery, do a forum search here on BYC. Know that if you get chicks from TSC or Rural King, they are coming from Hoovers, etc. Try to learn about the Hatchery itself, they can be incredibly different in size, conditions, quality breeding, etc. My local TSC uses Hoovers obviously, but my family-owned local feed store uses Privett and Jenks (not on the list above.) The fact that I've had only good experience can either be good on Privett or the stores receiving process (how do they handle the chicks the moment they arrive and thereafter,) or BOTH. I've seen TSC process locally and I think it's awful compared to the local store that has an actual temperature-controlled brooder room, wood brooder boxes off the floor, not overcrowded, etc. etc. What vaccines are important to you, does the hatchery do those? What state are you in, what state are chicks shipping from and how (USPS Express, Priority or Ground?) But then some of it is on you, how many are you ordering and what time of year?
Also what the climate is like at that time in your area and the areas they have to travel through.

Edited to add: Privett hatchery is added to the list if you want to vote for them. :)

I generally buy from local farm stores (not TSC) but did order three ducklings from Murray McMurray back in July of last year. I also had an approximately ten-week-old pullet shipped from Chicken Scratch Poultry in Illinois in October. Both were good (though nerve-wracking) experiences and I would probably order from both hatcheries again.

Back
Top Bottom