Favorite Hatcheries/ Least favorite Hatcheries? Opintions?

What hatchery is your favorite??

• Total voters
We've ordered many times from Cackle, and been happy with the birds sent. All pretty good quality from their breed standards, no complaints. MMcM sent us nice birds too, and their buff Plymouth Rocks were really nice. Other, more popular breeds, generally on the small size, but good for our backyard flock.
Mary

I generally buy from local farm stores (not TSC) but did order three ducklings from Murray McMurray back in July of last year. I also had an approximately ten-week-old pullet shipped from Chicken Scratch Poultry in Illinois in October. Both were good (though nerve-wracking) experiences and I would probably order from both hatcheries again.
I wish I had heard about Chicken Scratch Poultry before we placed our order with Meyer. They're within driving distance and have a lot of the breeds we were looking at. If we ever get our coop out at the fam up and running I think we'll look into getting hatching eggs.

• Cackle- ordered Dec 2020 (2 males, 8 Welsummer pullets) One pullet died within a day (no will to live)
    • Cackle - Ordered Feb 2021 (5 Welsummer pullets) lost in mail, called 14 days later by post office asking if I wanted my box of dead chickens
    • Cackle - 721 miles away (shipping was 3+ days)
  • Ideal- April 2022 (7 Welsummer pullets) two turned out to be roosters
    • Ideal - Jan 2023 (8 Welsummer pullets) two of them look like a Welsummer mix
    • Ideal - Dec 2023 (9 Black Giant) currently doubting these are Jersey Giants. Only 9 weeks old and have 2 white bard rocks and 2 blue (can't recall) a week younger. They are currently larger than these black giants.
    • Ideal - 143 miles away (shipping is fast)
  • Hooversvia TSC - Jan 2024 (10 ISA Brown) one died within hours. (shipping was 3+ days)
    • Hoovers - 1112 miles away
Thanks for the thread
I cannot in good standing order from Cackle since the distance & USPS odds are against them arriving in good health. Ideal is fast delivery but the quality definitely matches what others have posted in this thread. I wasn't aware of Hoovers distance when I made that order.

Currently in conversation with Ideal about the Black Giants. Their growth rate is not like the Jersey Giants I got from TSC. I have to see if they will survive this Texas heat before ordering more. If they do, I am definitely going to purchase them from https://mariasjerseygiants.com/

The giants are my meat birds, Welsummer are my gardeners\layers and ISA Brown are for strictly laying & broth :) I never realized how much goes into building a flock.

Picture of Jersey Giant with two chicks. She is a sweetheart, and I will spare her til next year in hopes she broods again. Trying to get a brooder hen for the flock. I have had no repeats in 3 years.

Attachments

• JGmomma.jpg
    JGmomma.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom