Favorite hen is dead. I dont know what happened...

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
This morning I went outside and my favorite hen was dead.
hit.gif
I thought I noticed something wrong with her yesterday but I didnt think anything of it.
I noticed she was wheezing really badly and then she would sneeze really loud. I thought it was something that has to do with the heat. It was well over 100 degrees yesterday. She also had been on of the nesting box trying to decide wether or not she wanted to be broody. She hasnt laid an egg in a long time. ( I can tell because she is a bantam and Ive only been getting large eggs )

If some of you could help me diagnose what was wrong with her that would be great. I want to make sure none of my other birds are sick because I would hate to lose anymore.

Thank you

I had a hen die of that once a while back. The only reason why i dont think this happened is because she just decided to not be broody anymore and once they quit that it takes a while before they start laying. I am thinking the wheezing and sneezing has something to do with it. I dont know why i didnt think anything of it yesterday. I guess i thought it was justa loud noise she was making because of the heat. Sometimes hens make a weird noise in the heat that almost sounds like duck...
Do any diseases come to mind? I want to make sure all my other hens are safe...

Could she have been sickened by the heat? Has it been hot and humid or hot and dry? Either can cause issues. Dryness can cause breathing problems from the dust whereas the humidity can make breathing difficult and disease can spread faster. Pneumonia maybe?

Very Very hot and humid. This is the way it always is in South Georgia...
Thank you all
I am really going to miss her
It seems like things like this always happen to your favorite animal
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom